Business Development Director
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Business Development Director - California
Carlsbad, CA office OR home based
Who We Are
Synteract is a global full-service contract research organization with a successful three-decade track record supporting biotechnology, medical device and pharmaceutical companies. With our mission of "Bringing Clinical Trials to Life," we provide customized Phase I through IV services internationally, offering expertise across multiple therapeutic areas including notable depth in Oncology, Neuro Degenerative Diseases, and Rare and Orphan Diseases, and in pediatric populations. Our mission is to support the innovation and development of better therapies in healthcare.
The Business Development Director develops and maintains sales and business relationships with focus on prospective new clients while maintaining relationships with existing clients in the Northern California and Sourthern California markets (2 different roles).
Specific tasks would include:
- Identify potential clients.
- Visit prospective clients to introduce capabilities and therapeutic experience in an effort to create new business relationships towards the achievement of targeted annual revenue goals.
- Communicate with clients and provide information needed (follow-up of contacts, proposals, other information as appropriate).
- Address client issues so that a high degree of client satisfaction is maintained and recommend to management ways to improve the firm's services, as appropriate.
- Plan and organize specific marketing activities in order to target customers.
- Attend conferences and trade shows and follow-up on contacts made during these events.
- Participate in the development of plans for service promotion in support of sales and marketing objectives.
- Brief new project team on history of sale, key contract provisions, deliverables, budget, timelines, and other helpful information such as personalities and/or politics. Promptly advise team of new developments and changing client needs.
- Supervise and support proposals preparation in collaboration with colleagues from Contracts and Proposals, and colleagues from other relevant departments.
- Ensure timely completion of proposals within agreed boundaries of profitability and based on adequate assumptions.
- Coordinate, prepare, attend, and follow-up of defense meetings.
- Administration and control of client contracts and related documents (Letter of interest, change in scope, contract amendments and work orders) in collaboration with colleagues from Contracts and Proposals and operational colleagues as applicable.
- Distribute marketing material and other company information to clients.
- Provide and distribute business development reports and statistics.
- Keep details on every opportunity and client contact up to date in the CRM system.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, preferred in a related field of study and 10 years of related experience in a CRO, pharmaceutical or biotechnology environment.
- At least 5 years' experience as a BD Director in a CRO environment.
- Understanding of the clinical process (PH I - IV).
- Financial interest and Profit & Loss know-how.
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and the ability to use Outlook, the Internet and Access or similar database software.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills; English + local language, if relevant.
- This role can be located in our Carlsbad, CA office or be home based
- Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time.
If you're passionate about bringing clinical trials to life, we encourage you to apply today!
Synteract's policy is to provide equal employment opportunity and affirmative action in all of its employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran status, age, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression or any other legally protected category. Applicants for positions with Synteract must be legally authorized to work in the country which they are applying and verification of employment eligibility will be required as a condition of hire. The Company will not sponsor applicants [to this position] for work visas.