Associate Director/Director - Epigenetics Lead, Oncology
- Experience Level
Associate Director/Director - Epigenetics Lead, Oncology Bioscience
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled bioscience leader with a strong oncology epigenetics background and publication record to join the Oncology Bioscience team at AstraZeneca in Waltham, MA. As an Associate Director/Director - Epigenetics Lead you will lead existing epigenetics programs in the oncology discovery and development portfolio and directly line manage a team of in vitro/cell biologists. You will also oversee identification and validation of novel epigenetics targets, assay development and compound profiling, studies to evaluate compound mechanism of action and experiments to develop hypotheses to support disease positioning and patient selection for clinical development. Additionally, you will further develop and lead the global oncology epigenetics strategy working with other AstraZeneca science leaders across disciplines and manage external collaborations in this area
- Develop and lead a global oncology epigenetics strategy to ensure a sustainable portfolio of targets and projects through internal efforts and external collaborations
- Oversee non-clinical support for existing epigenetics programs as part of cross discipline project teams
- Manage a team of scientists, setting their goals and objectives and providing appropriate development opportunities.
- Maintain an understanding and awareness of internal and external developments that could affect the discipline and share this with team members
- Identify new drug development opportunities and convey ideas to team members to foster a working environment that promotes science and encourages innovation on drug discovery projects
- Provide routine updates and presentations to Oncology senior leadership teams
- Be an active member of the Oncology Bioscience leadership team contributing to and influencing strategic direction and capability development
- Build networks with other leaders and external experts to learn about new developments, leveraging opportunities and share best practices
- Ensure that own work and work of your team is of a high ethical standard, Good Laboratory Practice, Safety Health and Environment standards and all other relevant internal and external regulation and standards.
- A PhD in Oncology or equivalent experience in a relevant area of cancer biology
- Extensive experience within the pharmaceutical/biotech industry and the drug discovery process across different project stages and/or academic experience in oncology epigenetics
- Extensive knowledge of epigenetics, ideally cancer epigenetics with a strong publication record in this area
- Experience in managing scientists and performance, either as a team leader or within a matrix environment
- Proven ability to be an effective within multidisciplinary teams
- Experience providing innovative solutions to complex problems with drug discovery projects.
- Outstanding oral presentation and written communication skills
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.