Team Lead, Process R&D
- Experience Level
Oxford BioMedica is a pioneer of gene and cell therapy and our work is helping to deliver life changing treatments.
Gene and cell therapy is the treatment of disease by the delivery of therapeutic DNA into a patient’s cells, providing long term and potentially curative treatments for a wide range of diseases. With the potential to transform medicine, the sector holds significant promise with the first commercial products now launched and others rapidly approaching the market.
Our recent successes are driving significant growth. As such, we are looking to recruit a Team Lead to join our Process R&D leadership team. In this role, you will be accountable for the effective high performance of a team of scientists, with a tactical focus on day to day management.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Provide line management to a team of scientists to contribute to the overall group objectives in line with company objectives.
- Be responsible for day to day operations within the team.
- Ensure all direct reports or persons involved in projects are fully trained and maintain a high standard of record keeping and documentation of experiments so that information is clearly captured, disseminated and reported.
- With Group Lead, ensure processes are developed with a view to application within GMP Manufacturing.
- Maintain awareness of upcoming technologies, and keep up to date with current literature and thinking.
- Provide upstream/downstream expertise and contribute to process design and scale-up, to deliver new and improved bio-manufacturing processes based on Quality by Design (QbD) using DoE, which can be operated within a GMP environment profile.
- Progress the process development projects, optimisation and scale-up activities for the manufacture of gene-based medicines (both internal and external programs).
- Support the development and implementation of manufacturing processes/continuous improvement programmes.
- Contribute to the training and development of others.
- Promote appropriate, effective communication within team, with members of other departments, and with external collaborators.
- Contribute to cross departmental activities and providing expert advice and technical input where needed.
- Understand the health and safety aspects of the work carried out in their team.
Key skills and requirements:
- Postgraduate degree (or equivalent level qualification) in a relevant science
- Relevant, practical industry experience in executing cell culture/upstream/downstream projects/activities
- Proven line management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads and work under pressure
- Good attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated
- Broad practical expertise and knowledge in upstream cell culture and/or downstream purification process development /virology /analytical techniques
- Experience in process design, optimisation and scale-up of bioprocesses to support clinical development.
- Practical knowledge of process characterisation / validation.
About Process Research & Development
The Process R&D group has a core function within Manufacturing Development. It consists of experienced scientists and engineers that have extensive expertise in all aspects of upstream and downstream development. PR&D take processes from the laboratory “bench” scale and apply process expertise and engineering fundamentals for systematic evaluation, optimisation and understanding for delivery to Manufacturing. As the focus shifts towards delivering processes and materials to support our LentiVector® platform products through later-stage development and market supply, PR&D is well positioned to ensure our products are manufactured using processes that are scalable, robust and reproducible as well as commercially viable and regulatory compliant.
No agencies please