- Experience Level
Oxford BioMedica is a pioneer of gene and cell therapy and our work is helping to deliver life changing treatments.
Gene and cell therapy is the treatment of disease by the delivery of therapeutic DNA into a patient’s cells, providing long term and potentially curative treatments for a wide range of diseases. With the potential to transform medicine, the sector holds significant promise with the first commercial products now launched and others rapidly approaching the market.
Our recent successes are driving significant growth. we are looking to recruit a Downstream Scientist to join our Process R&D team.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Performing process development studies for the purification of therapeutics for process understanding and characterisation
- Involvement in activities ranging from vector purification, process optimization, technology transfer, and process validation activities associated with the purification of new gene therapy vectors
- Executing routine chromatographic purification activities with affinity, size exclusion and ion exchange media using ÄKTA systems (Unicorn software)
- Performing bench scale filtration experimentations such as sterile membrane filtration, depth filtration and tangential flow filtration
- Performing high-throughput purification studies and applying DOE methods to separations and (pre)formulation activities
- Developing novel purification processes as well as using standard methods to purify viral vectors
- Performing, developing and optimising robust, efficient, scalable strategies for improving process performance; including small-scale studies and pilot scale purification studies
- Analysing and interpreting data, and presenting/documenting the results at meetings. Generating reports and preparing scientific presentations as needed
- Writing and revising SOPs and technical reports
- Carrying out such other tasks as are required from time to time for the efficient running of the Company’s business upon request from your line manager or a Director of the Company
Key skills and requirements
- a graduate or postgraduate degree (or equivalent qualification) in a relevant scientific discipline
- a sound understanding of basic purification principles and processes
- fluency in written and spoken English
In addition, desirable skills include:
- pharmaceutical industry experience in biological research and development or equivalent experience gained elsewhere
- hands-on experience with the operation of laboratory, pilot or production scale ÄKTA purification systems
- experience with cell culture
Candidates will be recognized experts in downstream processing including bioprocess design, protein expression and purification. They will be primarily involved in purifying and characterizing a variety of therapeutic candidates in support of projects from early stage research to pre-clinical programs.
PR&D works with our research teams involved in vector and cell engineering to ensure the seamless transfer of processes from research to manufacturing. The scope of work may include, but are not limited to vector purification, novel purifications, purification process development and verification, technology assessment, data analysis and project reporting. The individual must have a demonstrated ability to work independently and to manage multiple projects either through direct supervision or in collaboration with the programme team. The individual must be innovative and creative, show initiative, collaborative ability and have good general science management skills. Applicants are expected to have excellent time management skills, with the ability to adapt to rapid changes in projects priorities and meeting aggressive timelines. The individual should also enjoy working in a team setting and be able to work well with both research scientists and as well as external collaborators.
No agencies please