Senior Upstream Scientist, Process R&D
- Contract Type
PR&D works with our research teams involved in vector and cell engineering to ensure the seamless transfer of processes from research to manufacturing.
The scope of work may include, but is not limited to, vector production, small scale cell culturing, bioreactor process development and verification, data analysis and project reporting.
The individual must have a demonstrated ability to work independently and to manage multiple projects either through direct supervision or in collaboration with a project team.
The individual must be innovative and creative, show initiative, collaborative ability and have good general science management skills.
Applicants are expected to have good time management skills, with the ability to adapt to rapid changes in projects priorities and meet aggressive timelines.
These individuals should also enjoy working in a team setting and be able to work well with research scientists.
For this position, your key responsibilities will be:
- Develop and optimize upstream processes for producing lentiviral vectors, working within the Process R&D Group
- Execute small scale and laboratory scale bioreactor cell culture activities for scale-up/scale-down of existing bioprocesses, as well as support new product process development and scale-up activities. This requires working with miniature cell-cultivation systems, the scale-up to larger bioreactors and use of associated analytical support equipment.
- Involvement in activities ranging from vector manufacture, process optimization, technology transfer, and process validation activities associated with the manufacture of new gene therapy vectors.
- Performing high-throughput upstream studies and applying DoE methods to cell culture activities.
- Liaise with other members of the Process R&D Group and assist with other development activities where appropriate
- Routinely interact with the in-house manufacturing team and facilitate with technology transfer of processes to the manufacturing facility and/or external CMOs as necessary
- Conduct characterisation assays for lentiviral vectors
- Carry out such other tasks as are required from time to time for the efficient running of the Company’s business upon request from your line manager or a Director of the Company
- Experience with downstream processing is not essential but would be beneficial.
The successful candidate for this Upstream Scientist position will have:
- Experience as a scientist/engineer with mammalian cell culture expertise
- Understanding of bioprocess development and bioprocess unit operations
- A graduate or postgraduate degree (or equivalent qualification) in a relevant scientific discipline
- Experience in biological research / biotechnology / pharmaceutical manufacturing in a GMP environment
- A sound understanding of basic cell culture principles and processes
- Fuency in written and spoken English
In addition, desirable skills include:
- Experience with adherent and/or suspension cell culture is desirable
- Hands-on experience with the operation of laboratory, pilot or production scale cell culture bioreactors is desirable
- Experience with downstream processing
Oxford BioMedica is a pioneer of gene and cell therapy and our work is helping to deliver life changing treatments.
Gene and cell therapy is the treatment of disease by the delivery of therapeutic DNA into a patient’s cells, providing long term and potentially curative treatments for a wide range of diseases. With the potential to transform medicine, the sector holds significant promise with the first commercial products now launched and others rapidly approaching the market
*no agencies please*