At ICON, it’s our people that set us apart. Our diverse teams enable us to become a better partner to our customers and help us to fulfil our mission to advance and improve patients’ lives.
Our ‘Own It’ culture is driven by four key values that bring us together as individuals and set us apart as an organisation: Accountability & Delivery, Collaboration, Partnership and Integrity. We want to be the Clinical Research Organisation that delivers excellence to our clients and to patients at every touch-point. In short, to be the partner of choice in drug development.
That’s our vision. We’re driven by it. And we need talented people who share it.
If you’re as driven as we are, join us. You’ll be working in a dynamic and supportive environment, with some of the brightest and the friendliest people in the sector, and you’ll be helping shape an industry.Scientific Manager, UK, Homebased
As a Scientific Manager, prior experience and in-depth knowledge concerning all aspects of developing and executing the diverse array of deliverables within medical publications and medical communications is expected and will be an integral foundation for this role. Based on this and the overall description, the SM role will fall broadly across the following approximate allocations (individual client account teams may have, from time to time, specific needs that may
alter these allocations as may be necessary/required).
50% of your time will be devoted to content oversight and quality control from inception to delivery, including but not limited to, responsibility for:
- overall client satisfaction and high quality of all assigned scientific content/editorial projects and initiatives
- product/therapy area information and insight pertinent to the assigned client/account
- identifying and obtaining required/helpful background materials, including from client, sufficient for completion of projects to the highest level of scientific rigor and insight (e.g., study data, client market research/plans, landscape/competitor analysis, etc)
- reviewing of writers’ work to ensure both high-level content and technical accuracy (e.g., understanding of the product/TA/project goals, organization, syntax, grammar, clarity, focus, etc) that require a minimum level of editing/rewriting
25% of your time will be devoted to management and mentoring of assigned writers and/or other scientific staff, along with oversight of their assigned projects including but not limited to, responsibility for:
- contributing to/reviewing project specifications (e.g., timelines, lead time, resource availability, etc)
- helping to make writer assignments and allocations within the client account team
- knowledge of all aspects of project development from initiation to completion, including a working knowledge of financial aspects (e.g., budget awareness and overages, out of scope requests/work, time management/time keeping, etc)
- establishing and/or enforcing high-quality content standards and review procedures within the client account team
25% of your time will be devoted to scientific and medical insight support of clients (both external and internal) including but not limited to, responsibility for:
- being the “strategic bridge” - between clients’ overall product development plans and practical implications for product/account deliverables - for team members and, as required, ICON GMC senior leadership
- establishing/maintaining peer-to-peer relationships with content authors, client product/TA experts, and other external (and internal) scientific/clinical experts
- recognizing/developing new business opportunities, in partnership with the account manager, for client organic growth, and, as required, with ICON GMC senior leadership
What you need:
- Advanced degree, preferably PhD but PharmD and MD may also be considered
- Prior relevant experience in a medical publications/medical communications agency strongly preferred
- Minimum of 5-6 years’ experience of high-level content development and management, with at least 3 years as a Senior Medical Writer; applicants with additional 1-2 years’ experience as a Scientific Director (or equivalent) while at a medical communications agency strongly preferred
- CMPP™/MAPPS Certification preferred, not required
- Proven history of strong client relationship management
- Proven mentoring and leadership skills
- People management skills strongly preferred
- Ability to work efficiently with network directories/databases
- Familiarity and ability to work with industry standard resources (e.g., PubMed/Medline, clinicaltrials.gov, various market intelligence/data analytic providers, etc)
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams (e.g., editorial/library services, graphics/digital services, presentations support, etc)
Benefits of Working in ICON:
Our success depends on the quality of our people. That’s why we’ve made it a priority to build a culture that rewards high performance and nurtures talent.
We offer very competitive salary packages. And to keep them competitive, we regularly benchmark them against our competitors. Our annual bonuses reflect delivery of performance goals - both ours and yours.
We also provide a range of health-related benefits to employees and their families and offer competitive retirement plans - and related benefits such as life assurance - so you can save and plan with confidence for the years ahead.
But beyond the competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, you’ll benefit from an environment where you are encouraged to fulfil your sense of purpose and drive lasting change.
ICON is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know through the form below.