Want to help change how the world is fed?
Higher Steaks was founded to transform the global food system by making delicious and nutritious food – from animal cells and plants. We are pioneering the development of cultivated meat to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, sustainability and animal welfare.
We're a purpose, science and engineering-driven company dedicated to creating breakthrough technologies that will help address and push the boundaries of what’s possible – delivering innovations that benefit people and the planet.
Our brilliant team are experts in their respective fields, drawn from around the world. We’re passionate, curious, innovative and at the forefront of the ground-breaking work being done in this exciting and rapidly growing sector. Higher Steaks is a well-funded biotech company and we tripled our headcount in 2022. We’ll continue to expand through 2023, so this is a great time to join us and become part of the team solving one of the most important challenges we face today!
We are now looking for a Leading Scientist with extensive experience in cell media formulation and development to play a pivotal role at HigherSteaks. You’ll be a key part of our innovative research and development work, joining us on the journey towards taking a cultured meat product from the research laboratory to a commercial scale.
As a senior member of the company, you will be an exceptional candidate with a strong track record of solving complex scientific problems to deliver high-quality results. The ability to manage all aspects of project execution; from the design of the experiment to the final report, as well as the ability to lead the wider team in the delivery of our milestones will be vital to the role.
One of the industry’s most important challenges is to allow cultivated meat to be cost-effective at scale. The development of affordable cell culture media that will maximise our product yield is critical for our route to success. You’ll lead the research and development pipeline that develops novel strategies for scalable cell culture media for use with Porcine-Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells and their derivatives.
This role is based in Cambridge, UK. We can be flexible to offer some home working however due to the demands of this role we will need you to be primarily onsite. Our Stem Cell team currently works at our lab in the Cambridge Science Park, but will soon be relocating to our new state-of-the-art facility on the east side of the city.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading the formulation of cost-effective cell culture media to support the growth of stem cells in suspension, ensuring team objectives are met in line with milestones
- Developing new chemically-defined media using chemical and analytical techniques; this includes working with a team of biomaterial scientists, chemists, and molecular biologists to find the best solutions to challenges
- Developing and implementing assays, workflows and procedures for the qualification of media components.
- Working closely with all Heads and Team Leads across Stem Cell Development, Differentiation and Bioprocess to develop and refine critical aspects of the Stem Cell process
- Be directly involved with objective setting, alongside the leadership team
- Working closely with the Head of Quality and regulatory advisors to ensure that all media and associated processes are in line with the required standards
- Working autonomously as the leader of multidisciplinary projects.
- Working closely with other members of all core research and process teams.
- Line-managing other team members, including cross-functional
What we think you need:
- Educated to degree level in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, or Chemical Engineering
- Significant Industry experience in cell culture media development
- Cell culture media development experience
- Understanding of different component chemistries and media compositions
- Experience in scalable suspension cell culture
- Experience with DoE, GraphPad and other statistical methods to perform experiments and analyse results for delineating impacting factors and their interaction
- Line-management experience.
- High level of organisational skills.
- The ability to respond positively to unplanned events in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong goal focus and a high comfort level with autonomous working.
- Passionate about using your skillset to effect positive change.
We’d love it if you also have:
- PhD degree
- Stem Cell culture experience
- Experience working within a quality system
- Experience with protein analysis methods e.g. HPLC, GLC, ELISA
- Experience with bioprocessing and mammalian bioreactors
Alongside a competitive base salary all our people get these benefits:
- Share options
- Flexible hours
- 28 days annual leave
- Enhanced parental leave pay
- Cycle-to-work scheme and gym membership
- "Make your work life easier" annual stipend
- Regular team dinners and social activities
- Snacks, fruits, tea, coffee and more!
Higher Steaks recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status as required by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and HigherSteaks Limited retains the discretion to modify.