Want to help change how the world is fed?
Higher Steaks was founded to transform the global food system by making delicious and nutritious food – from animal cells and plants. We are pioneering the development of cultivated meat to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, sustainability and animal welfare.
We're a purpose, science and engineering-driven company dedicated to creating breakthrough technologies that will help address and push the boundaries of what’s possible – delivering innovations that benefit people and the planet.
Our brilliant team are experts in their respective fields, drawn from around the world. We’re passionate, curious, innovative and at the forefront of the ground-breaking work being done in this exciting and rapidly growing sector. Higher Steaks is a well-funded biotech company and we tripled our headcount in 2022. We’ll continue to expand through 2023, so this is a great time to join us and become part of the team solving one of the most important challenges we face today!
As Pilot Plant Engineer you will be a key member of the Pilot Plant team, contributing to the execution of large-scale upstream operations in our newly developed pilot plant in Cambridge, UK.
The role is a new one, even within the cultivated meat field, working at the interface of cutting-edge stem cell technology, large-scale biological manufacturing and food processing. You may be one of a select group already working in cultivated meat, or someone enthusiastic about moving into the field and keen to work at the cutting edge of innovation.
You'll contribute to the planning and execution of experiments, including stem cell expansion, large-scale cultivation, differentiation and characterisation of material batches in our pilot plant facilities. You'll help the team achieve our overall milestones, not least by providing technical knowledge and support to the rest of the engineering team.
Ours is a fast-paced, exciting environment and in this role, you'll need to connect and work effectively across the R&D, process development and food (product development) teams. What we're doing is ground-breaking, so we'll provide supervision and training to support you in working across the complex processes and operations we'll be running in our state-of-the-art bioprocessing facility.
This role will be based full-time at our new facility on the east side of Cambridge, UK.
We are introducing a structured shift working pattern for our pilot plant team so that our pilot manufacturing plant can operate in the way we need it to. As such these roles will work to a shift pattern which will include some out-of-standard hours and/or weekend and/or bank holiday work. We will be able to discuss this in more detail during the interview process.
What you’ll be doing:
- working to identify, define, implement and drive the completion of projects within the pilot plant
- As part of the Pilot Plant team, executing demonstration batches for the mass production of stem cells in our new pilot plant facility
- Contributing to the completion of projects that deliver measurable results, directly impacting Higher Steaks' progress towards commercialising cell-based meat, including supporting new product development
- contributing to the design and development of pilot scale operating procedures including the use of novel systems that will require modification and innovative thinking
- Contributing to manufacturing scale equipment design, operation and technology transfer, drawing on your experience in the pilot plant
- Assisting the entire pilot plant team in operations and day-to-day experiments
- Producing supporting documentation (reports, development activity and processes, SOPs, batch records, bioprocessing and 'on floor' schedules, experimental reports etc) in line with our quality procedures and using electronic notebooks
- Contributing to the production of concise reports, data and updates to management and/or external partners as required and ensuring effective knowledge transfer to other teams
- Working in compliance with all company policies including, but not limited to: Quality, Safety, Food Safety, Environment, HACCP, FDA (training will be provided)
- Contributing to problem-solving and troubleshooting to resolve pilot-scale operational issues.
What we think you need:
- Bachelor’s degree/equivalent training or work experience in biochemical engineering, biotechnology, chemistry, biology, pharmacy, engineering or related pharmaceutical science
- Experience working in either a pilot plant facility, or bioprocessing, biochemical engineering, mammalian cell culture, microbial fermentation or food science environment
- Working knowledge supported by practical experience in one of: bioreactors/fermenters at benchtop (R&D), process development or production scale-up, or food manufacturing, including relevant process monitoring and process control
- Experience and knowledge of activities routinely performed in upstream manufacturing (vial thaw, cell culture expansion, large-scale bioreactor setup and control, centrifugation, depth filtration, ultrafiltration, and media/buffer preparation)
- The ability to work independently following instructions, taking ownership and using your initiative to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and confidence using them both internally and externally, including disseminating data at departmental or project meetings to teams, including those that are not engineering/bioprocess experts
- An organised approach to your work and work environment, attention to detail
- A science and technology-driven mindset, with a focus on delivering results - and the tenacity to overcome obstacles to get there
- The ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment, connecting and working across a range of disciplines (R&D, bioprocessing, product development)
- The ability to record, analyse and interpret data, batch records and results, monitor consistency of operations by choosing appropriate statistical tools (and able to propose and implement corrective actions)
We'd love it if you also have:
- Knowledge of continuous or novel bioreactor systems
Alongside a competitive base salary all our people get these benefits:
- Share options
- Flexible hours
- 28 days annual leave
- Enhanced parental leave pay
- Cycle-to-work scheme and gym membership
- "Make your work life easier" annual stipend
- Regular team dinners and social activities
- Snacks, fruits, tea, coffee and more!
Higher Steaks recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status as required by applicable law. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and HigherSteaks Limited retains the discretion to modify it.