If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world’s most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world’s most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world’s toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic. Summary of the Position :
The Senior Manager, Global Market Access Contracts, is a critical position within the Global Market Access Team that will be responsible for the success of the Payer and Trade contracting processes in a growing organization from creation of an offer through execution, including offer development, contract development, global tender management, negotiations of contractual terms and conditions, and adherence to corporate policy for approvals for all global customer contracts. This individual will partner directly with the Payer, Trade and Sales account teams, Legal and Finance to implement discount and channel strategies with Novavax’ payer and trade partners, which may include IDNs, MCOs, GPOs, PBGs, Wholesalers/Distributors and Retailers, for achievement of commercial product distribution and patient access. This position will report to the Associate Director, Payer and Trade Contracting. Responsibilities include but are not limited to :
- Responsible for global Market Access contracts, which includes Payer and Trade contracting process from offer development through contract execution. Leads negotiations of contractual terms and conditions and global tenders, with Payer, Trade and/or Sales teams and their external customers. Must possess the expertise necessary to draft, edit, review and recommend complex, commercial contract language in response to customer revisions, and that align to strategic objectives; negotiate financial terms and performance expectations.
- Drive solution-oriented discussions with Payer, Trade and Sales teams, that include recommendations of contract terms and conditions that support approved discount and channel strategies with payers, IDNs, GPOs, PBGs, Wholesalers/Distributors, and Retail customers.
- Strong ability to think strategically and communicate benefits of various contracting approaches within different customer channels.
- Employ personal, business and subject matter expertise to draft and verbalize contract language, as well as edit, redline, review and counter-negotiate contract language in response to customer-negotiated revisions while ensuring accuracy and alignment to Novavax’ strategic objectives, negotiated financial terms, and performance expectations.
- Engage internal stakeholders to educate them on unique, customer-requested contract terms. Adhere to internal governance, authorization levels and approval authority to ensure compliance with internal controls, audit requirements and product strategy governance before seeking approval of such unique, customer-requested contract terms.
- Lead discussions with Payer, Trade and Sales teams, Legal, Finance and external contracted customers throughout the various stages of the contracting process on a routine basis to deliver customer agreements that support and align with corporate goals, Global Market Access expectations and commercial distribution strategies.
- Evaluate which key agreements (e.g., master services, consulting services, confidentiality disclosure agreements, statements of work, etc.) will be needed to engage and successfully contract with key service providers; initiate and lead contract education and training sessions with Global Market Access, Trade and Distribution and Sales.
- Maintain up to date contract status reports that track and report on the key phases of customer contracting by product and by segment; distribute routinely to senior management.
- Proactive communication with global pricing and rebate colleagues for a seamless transition to global rebate management and customer interface.
- Lead the implementation of a global contract/revenue management system. Responsible for training Global Market Access users on the system. Utilize the system to i) manage global contracts to assure Novavax’ alignment with contractual obligations; ii) evaluate customer data for processing of rebates; (iii) create reports for key contract terms and dates; (iv) proactively coordinate with key stakeholders to discuss contract renewals in advance of expiry with suggested process for renewal; and (v) audit chargeback reconciliations for accuracy before approving payment.
- Interfaces directly with Payer, Trade and Sales teams and their customers to obtain accurate membership rosters; build membership lists and maintain within the global contract/revenue management system to ensure alignment with customer contract offerings.
- Identify, summarize and mitigate business risks; present risk assessment to key stakeholders.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned by management.
- BA/BS degree preferred
- Minimum 8-10 years professional experience in the pharmaceutical or related healthcare industry and experience in customer contracting, including global payer and trade contracts; global tender responses; master services, consulting and confidentiality agreements; statements of work; contract analytics, including membership management, rebate processing, chargeback reconciliation; or a related global pharmaceutical pricing and contracting role.
- Management experience preferred but not required
- Successful experience in customer contracting specific to the global payer and trade channels preferred.
- Incumbent must possess strong contract negotiation skills and the ability to handle a high volume of customer agreements while applying sound business rationale to achieve desired outcome and identify and influence solutions that fairly balance customer requests and corporate policy.
- Subject matter expert that is able to train, educate and lead others.
- Proficiency required in MS Word and track changes for customer negotiations of contractual terms and conditions. Desired experience with contract/revenue management software such as Model N; and other MS Office applications, including Excel and PowerPoint, to assimilate and develop presentations and reports.
- Incumbent must possess excellent written and spoken communication skills; solid business judgment and attention to detail; ability to multi-task and problem solve to resolve contract issues to the satisfaction of Payer, Trade, Sales, Legal, Finance, Marketing, Regulatory and other internal business partners.
- General knowledge of the regulatory environment, compliance requirements and Sarbanes-Oxley, and their application in contracting
- General understanding of the effect of commercial pricing decisions on Government programs and across similar market segments and comparable customers.
Approximately 10% of the time
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Except where prohibited by applicable state law, this position requires that you be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation or qualify for an exemption.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)