ICON plc is a world-leading healthcare intelligence and clinical research organisation. From molecule to medicine, we advance clinical research providing outsourced services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device and government and public health organisations. With our patients at the centre of all that we do, we help to accelerate the development of drugs and devices that save lives and improve quality of life. Our people are our greatest strength, are at the core of our culture, and the driving force behind our success. ICON people have a mission to succeed and a passion that ensures what we do, we do well.
We are looking for a Medical Science Liaison (MSL) to be embedded at one of our pharmaceutical client
The MSL will Facilitate execution of clinical trials related to Biopharm area (including Haemophilia, sickle cell disease, Growth hormone disorders, Rare endocrine and rare blood disorders) by providing medical/scientific expertise and advice based on interactions with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), independent professional associations and patient advocacy associations as necessary.Responsibilities
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: 1: Identify KOLs, investigators and research centres
- Identify and map KOLs, investigators and research centres within the relevant therapy areas
- Establishes relationships with key groups of specialists, external experts to expand research opportunities for Sponsor and develops, at local level, advisory, collaborative and/or educational activities aligned to the Sponsor strategy.
- Represent Sponsor
- Collaborate closely with clinical operations teams in CDD, IO-SO and CDC during feasibility and allocation process
- Identify and engage with relevant patient advocacy groups and investigate areas of mutual interest and potential collaboration
- Collect medical insights that may be of value to Sponsor and cascade these as relevant to IO-SO Clinical Development team as well as cross-functionally within local affiliate/CDC
2: Collect early scientific insights and guidance
- Discuss relevant early development data with external medical and scientific experts optimizing the feasibility process for the clinical trial conduct
- Identify and regularly engage with clinical experts in relevant TAs to obtain guidance relevant to clinical trial execution
- Ensure site staff at main site and referral centres are properly trained on the scientific background of the trial
- Act as subject matter expert within relevant TAs
- Provide leadership in the scientific community within New Therapy Areas conducting advisory boards, scientific meetings, engaging with local associations for HCPs on relevant topics
- Support ad hoc requests by providing scientific and medical responses to requests from KOLs, HCPs, site staff, clinical operations staff and other stakeholders in a timely manner
3: Contribute to Clinical activities
- Contribute to delivering successful clinical trials (phase I-IV) in collaboration with clinical operations including driving scientific discussions at site selection and initiation visits, performing ad hoc visits, supporting attendance at investigator meetings, ensuring KOL inclusion in clinical trials, and engaging key investigators to communicate trial results
- Provides comprehensive expertise and guidance in the Therapeutic Area and local constrains strategies on a medical nature to set up clinical study.
- Contribute to scientific retention and recruitment (SRR) activities at local level
- Ensure continuous dialogue with investigators, site staff and other relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth study conduct and to collect timely and relevant insights throughout the duration of the study
- Support process on Investigator Sponsored studies by contributing to evaluation of proposals and ensuring follow-up after approval in close collaboration with local Medical Affairs team
4: Deliver Medical guidance
- Provide timely guidance and internal training by supporting training creation and delivering training to clinical staff
- Serves as the reference person for medical input and support to the local operations; supports other IO-SO Clinical Development functions, so that the appropriate patients in the geographic area of responsibility may have access to the benefit of Sponsor product(s).
- MD or PhD in healthcare with strong clinical and preferably research background
- ≥3 years of clinical or pharmaceutical industry experience
- Solid experience with human healthcare research either from university or pharmaceutical industry
- Expert in therapeutic area of relevance, preferably with authorship in peer-reviewed journals
- Understanding the specificities and nuances of the local healthcare infrastructure
- Understanding of pharmaceutical drug development
- Experience as clinical trial investigator or sub-investigator is preferred
Benefits of Working in ICON:Our success depends on the knowledge, capabilities and quality of our people. That’s why we are committed to developing our employees in a continuous learning culture - one where we challenge you with engaging work and where every experience adds to your professional development.At ICON, our focus is to provide you with a comprehensive and competitive total reward package that comprises, not only an excellent level of base pay, but also a wide range of variable pay and recognition programs. In addition, our best in class employee benefits, supportive policies and wellbeing initiatives are tailored to support you and your family at all stages of your career - both now, and into the future.ICON, including subsidiaries, is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know.