Senior Scientist, Analytical & Automation Scientist, Early Oncology
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company. We are driven by a shared goal to positively impact peoples' lives through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value to society. We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular disease, respiratory, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases.
Oncology R&D is a major focus area and growth platform at AstraZeneca. Our vision is to be at the forefront of developing the new generation of cancer therapies. We work together across all boundaries to have a positive impact in the world by solving complicated problems. Our team is growing, and we have an opportunity as a Senior Scientist that will play a role in helping us to direct our capabilities toward improving patients' lives.
In your role to Automate Analytical Chemistry Workflows (Senior Scientist) in the Early Oncology group in Waltham, MA, USA (United States of America), you will focus on creating efficient end-to-end processes for new chemical entities from post-synthesis crude sample to registration. With your keen interest in separations and automation you will work with a diverse team of scientists to purify small molecules while automating workflows, including sample tracking, instrument scheduling, and decision-making engines of methods, all in the context of drug discovery to accelerate project delivery of the right compounds to improve patients' lives.
This hands-on laboratory position combines your Separation Science (HPLC and SFC) and Analytical Chemistry expertise with your ability to collaborate as part of an international scientific team focused on working with developers, vendors, and IT to implement a robust and integrated end-to-end automation system. You will be part of the local USA based Separations Science team running purifications for drug discovery (~ 50% of role). Your understanding of the what, how, and why of the current workflows together with your instrumentation and automation expertise will enable you to modify and align the local workflows seamlessly with your counterparts in the UK (United Kingdom) and Sweden to develop one global automation workflow (~ 50% of role). At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries with the utmost integrity even in the most demanding situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
We combine our passion for discovery of innovative new medicines, with a commitment to the importance of talent development and employee support. AstraZeneca offers a wide variety of benefits, services and programs providing resources to pursue not only work goals but life goals too. At AstraZeneca, we are dedicated to building research teams that are strengthened by the diversity of talents to effectively accomplish our shared mission to improve human health.
As a Separations Scientist within the Analytical and Structural Chemistry team:
- Support Oncology R&D drug discovery programs locally through (i) purifications of potential drugs and (ii) implementation of automated workflows within a global team.
- Identify and champion automation opportunities. Implement automation using commercial software and analytical instruments in alignment with global counterparts.
- Conduct hands-on testing, feedback, and troubleshooting of ideas for integrating sample tracking programs, instrument scheduling applications, automated data capture tools, as well as decision making engines with design and registration software.
- Deliver quality results in an efficient and timely manner.
- Champion innovations in chromatographic techniques and automation strategies, software, and hardware to optimize current and future business delivery.
- Drive improvements to projects and the department through open discussions of standard methodologies and identification of bottlenecks and difficulties to improve workflows.
- Prepare summaries of work for presentations, reports, and patent applications. Publish work in peer reviewed journals and present at external and internal scientific conferences.
- Stay up to date with literature in analytical chemistry and advances in broader modalities that influence oncology research.
- Act in accordance with all AstraZeneca policies on personnel, safety/health/environment regulations, best laboratory practice, and Code of Conduct.
- PhD/Postdoc in chemical engineering, analytical chemistry, automation, biotechnology, biochemistry, computer science or equivalent with 0-5 years industry experience and a consistent track record of publications, or M.S. with 5+ years relevant industry experience, or bachelor's degree with 7+ years relevant industry experience.
- Proven experience with chiral and achiral separations using HPLC-UV/MS and SFC-UV/MS at analytical and semi-prep or preparative scale. Expertise in analytical method development, validation, and problem solving.
- Detailed knowledge of analytical instrumentation and automation software for chemistry workflows. Keen interest in gaining expertise in collaborating with developers and vendors to tailor commercial-of-the-shelf software of interest to global automation needs. Examples could include, but are not limited to: Elixir (iTrax), Biosero (Green Button Go), Mestrelabs (QC brick, SST brick, Best method brick), ACD/Labs (Spectrus Enterprise DB), Unchained Labs (LEA), SPT Labtech (Lab2Lab), Virscidian, Agilent (ChemStation and MassHunter), Bruker, Waters (MassLynx and Empower), Shimadzu (Lab Solutions), TECAN, etc.
- Experience in design, problem solving, and cross-discipline collaboration of automated workflows.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are a must.
- Strong time management skills, forward planning, and delivery focus.
- Steady performance demonstrating values and behaviors in interpersonal interactions.
Values and Behaviors:
- We put patients first: Respectful of all colleagues, we strive for a diverse pool of talent who will actively contribute a broad range of perspectives to inform on best actions
- We follow the science: Resilient with a 'can do' attitude to maintain consistent work level and motivation despite scientific setbacks showing negative results.
- We do the right thing: Reliable, with a demonstrable commitment to team goals and timelines. Lead by example with research integrity and work ethic
- We are entrepreneurial: Readily acquire new skills and techniques as needed, with a passion for learning. Ambitiously seek improved solutions in the face of challenging problems
- We play to win: Contribute to team effectiveness and communicate candidly with colleagues at all levels. Proactively share expertise and ideas; demonstrate flexibility and open-mindedness
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
About AstraZeneca in Waltham, MA
The Waltham R&D site focuses on our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
Our Waltham MA facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world.. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to encourage teamwork and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to crafting a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Waltham site offers a variety of amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, and electric vehicle charging stations, full-service cafeteria and copy center.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
So, what's next!
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
If you're curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.
Closing Date: June 9, 2022
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We align with all applicable laws and regulations on inclusivity in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
As part of the application process for some roles at AstraZeneca, candidates may be asked to complete a series of online games, created by pymetrics, to assess certain candidate qualities to help evaluate potential match for the position. If the pymetrics process applies to this role, you will receive an email invitation with additional information following application. Once completed AZ will automatically receive your results - pymetrics will not be used solely in our decision-making process but will help us gather additional insight.