Medical Director - Oncology
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
IQVIA is changing an entire industry through inspired innovation. Our People make the difference. We believe that great ideas can come from anywhere. Great products come from great ideas. And great ideas come from great people. We look for the very best people and then give them meaningful work to do. Join IQVIA and help us make the world a better place.
The IQVIA Oncology Therapy Center of Excellence (Oncology COE), a hub of Oncology clinical innovation, is growing! We are looking for exceptional Board-Certified physicians to join our team as a Medical Strategy Lead to help us expand our Oncology portfolio and advance this dynamic and rapidly expanding area of clinical development.
The Oncology Medical Strategy Lead is an Oncology subject matter expert with experience in clinical research and clinical trials who will be a champion for Oncology across IQVIA.
The key remit of the role is drive growth of the IQVIA Oncology portfolio through scientific and clinical expertise. The Oncology Medical Strategy Lead will be charged with using his/her clinical, scientific, and operational knowledge to harness the vast IQVIA data and clinical trial resources to develop innovative, data-driven, and patient-centered solutions for Oncology trials.
The Oncology Medical Strategy Lead will provide senior clinical and scientific expertise to all IQVIA divisions as requested and will collaborate closely with indication-specific teams to develop integrated strategies for Oncology clinical trials and studies. The Oncology Medical Strategy Lead will also be responsible for early engagement business development activities, providing scientific knowledge and expertise to guide sponsors in Oncology development.
As a subject matter expert, the Oncology Medical Strategy Lead will drive thought leadership activities including presentations, publications, and interactions with the medical scientific community.
- Accountable and responsible for creating innovative, evidence-based, and patient-centered delivery strategies and solutions for Oncology trials or studies, addressing the specific needs and challenges of each customer.
- In partnership with Indication-Specific Medical Strategy, Operations, Sales, and other functions, responsible for award of strategic and tactical new business to achieve annual Gross New Business targets. Responsible for the inclusion of Oncology elements into proposals.
- Provide scientific, clinical, and operational advice to internal stakeholders developing proposals: this may include, but is not limited to, providing the strategy to protocol design/clinical development plan, mining data to address important clinical questions relevant to the study, reviewing the protocol for scientific/regulatory soundness and feasibility, identification of target site and principal investigator profiles, anticipated patient recruitment, standard of care and competitive landscape.
- Support preparation of customer and bid defense meetings, e.g. training and preparation of the assigned project team; provide specific content; ensure presentation focus and content effectively conveys Oncology strategy. Attends and presents at customer meeting, or bid defense or partnership meetings, as required.
- Participates in strategic business development activities including presentations to prospective clients and professional meetings.
- Maintains awareness of industry pipeline and scientific and business landscape; supports due diligence research of the Oncology landscape
- Leads Oncology thought leadership at IQVIA which may include publications, presentations, and taking a leadership role in scientific activities
Scientific and Research Qualifications and Experience
- A physician with experience in Oncology. A degree from an accredited and internationally recognized school is required. Certification in any medical sub-specialty will be considered and preference will be given to candidates with formal training in medical genetics, pediatrics, oncology, neurology, or cardiology. Highly qualified and experienced candidates with other terminal degrees such as a PhD or Pharm D will also be considered.
- 5+ years clinical research relevant experience, including hands on operational delivery and/or drug development experience
- Robust and current knowledge of scientific, clinical, regulatory, commercial and competitive landscape in Oncology.
- Excellent skills in providing consultation and advice on multiple assignments are required, as well as initiative and flexibility.
- In depth knowledge of, and skill in applying, applicable clinical research regulatory requirements; e.g. Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs, have difficult conversations with internal/external stakeholders and customers, negotiate solutions and understand impacts on the overall offering
- Strong clinical research skills and commitment to evidence-based and patient-centered clinical development
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, including good command of English language (both written and spoken)
- Strong leadership skills, ability to work with minimal supervision, and lead a virtual team in a matrix organization
- Innovative and strategic thinker
- Strong business acumen including confidence with financial considerations, excellent negotiation and influencing skills, and comfort working in both sales and operational environments
- Flexible and able to work in situations where specifications may or may not be well defined and willing to support work in other therapeutic areas when required
- Confident and capable in the use of technology, applications and other media e.g. databases and internet to research assess new opportunities, maintain currency of therapeutic and operational knowledge and competitive landscape.
- Proven ability to make decisions with limited information, bringing clarity to disparate information to inform actions and drive results
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and clients. Maintains a positive outlook at work; handles criticism well and learns from it
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide network of individuals e.g. coworkers, managers and customers
- Effective mentoring and training skills, fostering learning and knowledge sharing with colleagues
Home-based, all Europe
At IQVIA, we believe in pushing the boundaries of human science and data science to make the biggest impact possible – to help our customers create a healthier world. The advanced analytics, technology solutions and contract research services we provide to the life sciences industry are made possible by our 70,000+ employees around the world who apply their insight, curiosity and intellectual courage every step of the way. Learn more at jobs.iqvia.com.