- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Leading Pharmaceutical Contract Research Organisation seeks an experienced Group Leader.
About the role:
The company are looking for a productive lab-based chemist; co-operating proficiently with colleagues through respectful, positive communication, recognising the contribution of others and adapting own style as required. Demonstrate a good knowledge of chemistry, ensuring skills are kept up to date. Identify potential problems, choosing the most appropriate solution. Be proactive in problem solving for others, utilising thorough knowledge of chemical databases to optimise research.
Understand the requirements of both internal and external customers, including budgetary constraints and the importance of working to deadlines. Consider the impact of the actions of themselves and their team on colleagues and the customer. Participate in cross functional teams to fulfil wider business priorities and demonstrate the ability to influence senior managers.
Seek opportunities to improve performance in current role as well as to develop for potential future roles, with realistic analysis of own level of development. Be proactive and highly flexible in adjusting work plans to ensure priorities are met, working with high levels of self-motivation and enthusiasm.
Duties may include:
- Line management of a team of up to 7 chemists, taking responsibility for their development and performance.
- Holds regular, effective one to one meeting's with reports. Demonstrates thorough understanding of their abilities and facilitates development. Accurately and fairly assesses performance against the competency framework, including carrying out annual appraisals.
- Responsible for Health, Safety and the Environment in a laboratory or area; including safety inspections and investigation of incident reports.
- Monitor reactions effectively using most appropriate method. Interprets all analytical data accurately, identifying unexpected products.
- Demonstrates the ability to interpret data from more advanced techniques. Effectively assists more junior colleagues in data analysis.
- Completes laboratory notebook in accordance with Integrated Discovery & Development Services (IDDS) procedure or specific customer requirements; recording sufficient, accurate and clear information.
- Interaction with peers and senior management to ensure consistent practises are employed across the organisation.
- Carry out complex chemical syntheses using a wide range of techniques and support others within your team.
- Utilise your scientific expertise and chemical databases to generate solutions to problems encountered within your team.
- Provides positive leadership through effective communication and motivation, demonstrating clear vision and direction in line with the organisation.
- Recognises others' contribution to the team and demonstrates ability to utilise varying skills and perspectives to maximise the team's performance. Contributes to cross functional working groups.
- Ensure to communicate professionally with internal and external customers.
- Complete written reports to a high standard.
Skills and experience:
- BSc/MChem in chemistry with minimum of five years industrial experience in organic synthesis or PhD in organic chemistry (or related) plus three years industrial experience.
- Experience in leading and managing teams.
- Ability to coach and support individuals.
- Demonstrate an innovative approach to problem solving.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines in a pro-active way.
- Ability to work as part of team, keeping the customer at the forefront of work at all times.