- Experience Level
Leading Pharmaceutical Contract Research Organisation seeks an experienced Lead Chemist.
About the role:
Model good Health and Safety practice at all times; demonstrating knowledge of and compliance with company policies. Act as mentor to more junior staff.
Be a productive lab-based chemist; co-operating proficiently with colleagues through respectful, positive communication, recognising the contribution of others and adapting own style as required. Demonstrate a good knowledge of chemistry; ensuring skills are kept up to date. Identify and pre-empt potential problems, choosing the most appropriate solution. Be proactive in problem solving for others, utilising thorough knowledge of chemical databases to optimise research.
Understand the requirements of both internal and external customers, including budgetary constraints and the importance of working to deadlines. Protect the Intellectual Property and confidentiality of Peakdale and that of external customers, including the write up of laboratory notebooks. Consider the impact of own actions on colleagues and the customer and be able to build a rapport with customers. Seek ways to optimise the perception of Peakdale's professionalism by the client.
When required, have the ability to effectively manage chemistry projects. Clearly understanding project goals and enabling them and their team to deliver against customer expectations. Lead a team of chemists through the setting of clear project goals along with supporting the individual team members as required.
Seek opportunities to improve performance in current role as well as to develop for potential future roles, with realistic analysis of own level of development. Be proactive and highly flexible in adjusting work plans to ensure priorities are met, working with high levels of self-motivation and enthusiasm.
Duties may include:
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the Company's policies, procedures and legal obligations regarding Health, Safety and the Environment. Maintains housekeeping standards in all areas. Challenges anyone who is not following correct procedures.
- Highly skilled, efficient and independent in all aspects of experimental work; reaction design, set up, analysis and work up. Able to perform challenging syntheses and purifications. Gives sound guidance and mentoring in experimental techniques to more junior colleagues.
- Is recognised as a scientific expert and shares knowledge with the team. Contributes to problem solving for all members of the group. Effectively resolves complex problems, identifying contingency plans. Proficient in carrying out advanced searches using the available scientific databases and able to coach others in this.
- Monitors reactions effectively using most appropriate method. Interprets all analytical data accurately, identifying unexpected products. Able to interpret data from more advanced techniques. Effectively assists less experienced chemists in data analysis.
- Completes laboratory notebook in accordance with procedure or specific customer requirements; recording sufficient, accurate and clear information. Effectively trains new team members in specific customer requirements.
- Conducts all communication in a professional and positive manner. Proactively provides updates to manager and customer. If chairing meetings, encourages contribution from all. Contributes to the discussions and responds positively to feedback.
- Independently plans day/week and creates effective milestone plans, considering urgency and looking to minimise cost where possible. Is able to assist others with planning to ensure project goals are met. Effectively communicates changes in priorities to the team.
- Visibly contributes to achieving the team's goals, taking initiative to assist the smooth running of the lab or project. Recognises others' contribution to the team and demonstrates ability to work effectively with others who have a differing style or perspective.
- Protects Intellectual Property of Peakdale and customer at all times. Works to maintain and improve good customer relationships. Gives consideration to the overall business need in relation to own project.
- Progresses all tasks with the appropriate sense of urgency. Assists with routine admin tasks.
- Leads by example, delivering a consistently high performance. Demonstrates integrity and delivers on promises.
Skills and experience:
- Hold a PhD in organic or medicinal chemistry or a BSc/MSc in chemistry with clear, demonstrable and relevant laboratory experience.
- Have excellent team-working and communication skills.
- Demonstrate an innovative approach to problem solving.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines in a pro-active way.
- Ability to work as part of team, keeping the customer at the forefront of work at all times.
- High level of self-motivation.