Senior Scientist, In vitro, Oncology Research
3 days left
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Senior Scientist, In vitro, Oncology Research
Location: Cambridge, UK
Do you have expertise in, and a passion for immune-Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the lives of patient's living with cancer in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration - we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energised and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Welcome to Granta Park Cambridge, one of over 400 sites here at AstraZeneca!
Providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca's priorities, it's important to us that you bring your full self to work every day.
To help you maintain your best self, here's a sneak peek into some of the things this site provides for you. Granta Park has a gym, nursery and central restaurant/coffee place as part of the science park facilities that are accessible to our staff. We also have our own bistro and deli in the AZ buildings. There are regular lunch & learn events and after work socials on the last Friday of every month. This is our biggest and most spacious lab site - come and join us!
In the Oncology Business Unit we relentlessly follow the science, challenging the status quo to deliver more effective treatments to patients in need. Our dedication means we purposefully push back the limits of knowledge to change the practice of medicine. To ensure no patient is left behind, no matter what stage of disease.
Fast-paced and ever-changing, it takes agility and responsiveness to stay committed in our pursuit of excellence. We work with focus and a sense of urgency to seek the unanswered questions - innovating, challenging accepted norms, quick decision-making and taking smart risks. A place of trust, it's an opportunity to take accountability, be brave, speak up, step up and disrupt to change the game for Oncology, now and in the future. Be a part of improving lives. This is the time to join the team who is confident that cures for cancer are within our grasp.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and haematological cancers.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist in Immuno-Oncology with deep scientific and technical expertise in innate immunology, specifically focusing on myeloid biology, with a track record of scientific excellence to join our team in Cambridge, UK. As a Senior Scientist you will be a key member of a team focussed on supporting immuno-oncology projects through the drug discovery process. You will bring your theoretical and practical expertise in immunology to establish assay systems and deliver datasets that will have direct impact on immuno-oncology research projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in this laboratory-based position within the Immuno-Oncology Research group you will develop, design, conduct and analyse in vitro experiments to assess the function of our candidate drugs and help to dissect the mechanism of action of novel therapeutics targeting the immune system for cancer therapy. You will also review emerging literature and internal data to help in identifying new potential targets and contribute to target validation activities.
A strong foundation in immunology / immuno-oncology, and depth of expertise in techniques for the analysis of myeloid immune cell function and phenotype is essential for this role. As a highly organised, self-motivated individual with a strong lab/practical background you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumour immunology and have a genuine passion for this field of research.
- A PhD, or equivalent experience, in immunology and/or immuno-oncology
- Deep expertise in immuno-oncology research, specifically pertaining to tumor myeloid biology
- Deep expertise working with primary-derived myeloid cells within in vitro / ex vivo cultures and co-cultures
- Experience of a range of in vitro skills for the analysis of human immune cell function e.g. complex multiparameter flow cytometry and analysis using dimensionality reduction, ELISA, primary immune cell co-cultures, molecular biology skills including transcriptomics
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, negotiating and collaboration skills together with evidence of having used these to support problem solving and delivery in a team-orientated, collaborative environment
- Depth of understanding and enthusiasm for immunology and immuno-oncology
- Proven track record of independently-led scientific achievement in your primary subject area
- Data processing, statistical analysis and interpretation.
- Experience preparing written scientific reports (e.g. manuscripts) and oral presentations (e.g. slides, posters).
- Experience working with patient-derived tumours/organoids/myeloid cells or multicellular 3D spheroid culture systems an advantage
- Experience with multiplex data generating platforms
- Experience with visualizing/quantitating high content multi-parameter flow data and evaluation of transcriptomic datasets
- Knowledge of the drug discovery process
- Publications in top tier scientific journals
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
Competitive salary and benefits package on offer.
The successful candidate will have access to a flexible employee benefits fund, including holiday purchase and flexible time off, pension contributions, Share Save Plans, A performance recognition scheme and a competitive, generous remuneration package.
Closing date: 25th June 2021
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en