Director Precision Medicine - Oncology
- Experience Level
Are you excited about Precision Medicine? Would you like have an impact on patients' lives and contribute to eliminate cancer as a cause of death? If so then join us!
At AstraZeneca work with diverse minds, all united by a shared passion to learn, grow and discover.
We're investing like never before in our people, in growth, and in new diagnostic techniques and technologies. There are opportunities at every turn, with a variety and breadth that is uncommon to find and an industry-leading pipeline in oncology. Scientists at AstraZeneca are working every day to turn science fiction into science fact. Our ambition - to develop innovative, targeted medicines for every patient that needs them - and to match those treatments to patients most likely to benefit from them - is now a reality. This approach, known as Precision Medicine, is based on those individual characteristics that make some patients respond to treatment better than others. We use this knowledge to develop diagnostic tests that doctors can use to help prescribe the best treatment for each patient. Indeed, it's now become common practice for patients with cancer to be offered such diagnostic tests before their treatment plan is agreed.
The AstraZeneca Companion Diagnostics Unit within the Precision Medicine and Biosamples function drives scientific leadership through the delivery of innovative companion diagnostics enabling our oncology ambition to transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death.
We do this by:
- Leading the development of diagnostics across AstraZeneca's early and late stage oncology portfolios through close collaborations with our external diagnostic partners.
- Leading the development and implementation of patient selection strategies to deliver companion diagnostics programs in support of our business priorities.
- Leading companion diagnostic regulatory interactions to secure companion diagnostic approvals in major markets
- Collaborate across AstraZeneca with colleagues in multiple Clinical functions plus commercial to help drive market uptake.
- Developing strategies for early cancer detection, near patient testing and implementing testing options for minimal residual disease and early treatment interventions.
- Utilising artificial intelligence diagnostic solutions and seeing software as a medical device.
- Developing specific disease area strategies (e.g. lung cancer, breast cancer or hematological malignancies) and new diagnostic modalities.
- Collaborating closely with fellow pharma companies on joint assets.
Join this fantastic, collaborative team and be part of our success; we have already delivered over 50 innovative/impactful companion/complementary oncology diagnostic approvals across the major markets of the US, EU, Japan and China since 2014 and we need you to help us take the next steps in patient-centric diagnostic development.
If this sounds like the type of organisation where you would like to grow your career and make a real difference to patients then we would like to hear from you.
We are currently looking for a Director.
Typical Accountabilities, what you will be doing:
As a Director, you'll be a member of the Oncology Companion Diagnostic Unit (CDU). Your objective will be to ensure that innovative companion diagnostic tests or equivalent segmentation tools are delivered to our oncology drug projects. Drawing on world-class expertise and personal experience in companion diagnostic development you will ensure the adoption of Precision Medicine approaches within the AstraZeneca business. You will also provide leadership and support to a pool of fellow diagnostic experts to ensure delivery of a diagnostic strategy.
As an associate director this will entail developing and implementing the diagnostic strategy agreed by the respective development teams, and planning and leading Precision Medicine activities from a technical, financial, risk, regulatory, IP and partnering perspective. You will work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels in the Precision Medicine function to deliver this expertise to drug project teams.
Your role will also involve contributing to the personal development of project team members. Providing expert advice on strategic and innovative Precision Medicine approaches and companion diagnostic developments to development teams, you'll be instrumental in ensuring that we adopt world-class practice in the field.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:Essential:
- PhD or equivalent experience in a relevant subject.
- Experience of companion diagnostic tests or patient biomarker/segmentation tools in clinical development.
- Experience of Precision Medicine approaches and diagnostic development within the relevant therapeutic area.
- Effective communication, stakeholder, influencing skills and programme management.
- Significant understanding of the functions involved in companion diagnostic development and how they contribute to achieving successful diagnostic submissions and approvals
- Significant previous experience in a similar role in different companies.
- Delivery of companion diagnostics, regulatory interactions and commercialisation.
- High quality scientific expertise in the field of Precision Medicine or relevant therapeutic area as evidenced by publications.
Locations:UK - Cambridge (Melbourn Science Par); USA - Gaithersburg - MD or Waltham - MA; Sweden - Gothenburg; Poland - Warsaw; Shanghai, China
Salary: Competitive + Excellent Benefits
Closing Date: 21st June 2021
If this sounds like the type of organisation where you would like to grow your career and make a real difference to patients then we would like to hear from you; apply today!