- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Are you a Veterinary Surgeon looking for a change of career?
Do you have experience working in laboratory animal welfare?
Does the idea of working outside of general practice appeal?
Would you like to be involved with work that benefits both people and animals, through the development of products for both human and veterinary pharmaceutical industries?
We are looking for aclinicianto joinour Veterinary Services Department at Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire which provides veterinary care for our three UK sites in GLP preclinical study units.
Our responsibilities : We support the regulatory work and fulfil the company's obligations under the Animal (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 (amended 2012). We provide specialist clinical services at the cutting edge of research for the pharmaceutical industry. Our work involves direct impact to study design, conduct and procedures, whilst working in a large global veterinary team with an emphasis on teamwork and collaboration. Our work is recognised externally e.g. National Centre for 3R's, and the facilities are AAALAC accredited.
Our role: We provide laboratory animal medical and surgical care which will (including examination and treatment) to ensure high level of welfare for the animals under our care. This includes:
- Assisting the Named Veterinary Surgeon to ensure that policies and practices regarding animal welfare are in compliance with regulations
- Providing scientific expertise on animal health, biology, physiology, and research methodology to staff scientists and technicians
- Performing ophthalmic, surgical or other veterinary examinations on laboratory animals as required by study designs
- Performing physical examinations of laboratory animals as indicated in clinical care programme, protocols and SOP
- Assisting in training of staff at all levels
- Serving on the Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Body, as needed
Our vacancy: We are looking enthusiastic, innovative full-time clinical veterinarians to join our Animal Welfare and Veterinary Services Team based in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire (with sites also in Eye, Suffolk and Shardlow, Derbyshire).
Our package: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Work/life balance is important to us, and these roles offer regular hours of 08:30am to 5pm, with low-level on call commitments. The company provides funds for CPD and professional memberships.
Our location: Huntingdon is a market town surrounded by beautiful villages set in picturesque countryside. It is located just 20miles from the vibrant city of Cambridge, also renowned for its scientific excellence. The site is also a short 50 minute train ride into London.
Must hold MRCVS and a veterinary medicine degree
Furhter qualification in surgery, anaesthsia or ophthalmolog woudl be an advantage
- Sufficient time in general practice to gain competency as veterinary clinician including surgery skills
- Experience of laboratory animal vet duties, to enable position as deputy NVS
- Ability to do general surgery e.g. caesarean section and neutering procedures
- Further qualification/specialisation , enrolment on applicable course or actively undertaking relevant CPD
- Experience of carrying out audits or inspections under ASPA
- AHVLA certification for OV roles
- Actively seeks opportunity to develop own skills and knowledge.
- Gives practical support and assistance to enable individuals to get the job done
- Discuss process improvement opportunities within own department and across other areas.
- Communication is clear and concise.
- Demonstrates effective use of time and resources.
- Routinely meets agreed deadlines.
- Build rapport to influence message, acceptance and understanding
- General clinical veterinary experience, to include surgical skills
- Clear understanding of NVS duties under ASPA
- Ability to perform ophthalmology for CRS studies
- Interest/experience in welfare science, ophthalmology, cardiology, exotic animals, surgery or other related disciplines would be an advantage
- Ophthalmology, surgery or other related further experience or qualification in the veterinary field
- Previous teaching/tutoring experience for Module training of PIL applicants
- Good presentation skills