- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Location: Leopardstown, Dubbin 18
At ICON, it's our people that set us apart.
As a global provider of drug development solutions, our work is serious business. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun while you do it. With our vision to be the partner of choice in drug development, we hire only the best and brightest in the industry! Are you one of them?
At ICON, we have an incredible opportunity for a Laboratory Supervisor to join the Flow Cytometry team in our Leopardstown, Dublin 18 location.
To ensure the Central Laboratory is meeting the highest quality standards. To Supervise the technical staff and perform the general technical assignments and testing in the section in accordance with current procedures and quality standards, under the supervision of the Manager or above, ensuring that turnaround times agreed in each contract are met.
- As a Supervisor, the employee is expected to recognize the importance of and create a culture of process improvement with a focus on streamlining our processes adding value to our business and meeting client needs.
- Travel (approximately 1%) domestic and/or international.
- Supervises the daily activities of the laboratory department within quality and budgetary guidelines. Ensures work in accordance of agreed turn around time by daily review of department pendings. Monitors and review proficiency testing, operational and department budget, laboratory quality control data, quality control systems and corrective actions.
- Perform technical assignments and testing and issue reports in accordance with written procedures.
- Adheres to written internal and external quality control procedures in order to ensure the quality of the results. To evaluate means and standard deviations for quality control materials and maintain Corrective action logs as appropriate.
- Responsible for the quality and timelines of technical procedures to ensure full compliance with CAP, relevant regulations and other relevant standards as determined by the company. Ensuring the laboratory adheres to standard operating procedures and protocol requirements during the course of each day.
- Monitors reagents and supplies for section and assists in the performance of all related tasks for managing inventory.
- Builds strong and effective teams, valuing different contributions; works with and through others, involving people in issues that affect them. Assist management in the recruitment and selection of staff.
- Operates independently with a willingness to make decisions; Projects credibility and makes a professional and positive impression on others; Monitors progress and holds self and others accountable. Liaise with clients, vendors and staff on all department issues.
- Effectively monitors laboratory operations in section and provides guidance to staff for all issues that arise including but not limited to, instrument failures, reagent/ quality control issues, sample integrity issues, delays in testing and communication of abnormal result.
- Identifies the key elements of a situation and any gaps and inconsistencies in data. Makes rational judgements from available information and analysis. Actively participates in Root cause analysis investigations and process improvement initiatives.
- Creates an environment that motivates people; Identifies development opportunities for self and others; Acts as a coach and mentor and shares expertise. Maintain a positive working environment ensuring staff motivation in particular periods of high workloads. Maintain low levels of staff turnover, actively contributing to the retention of key individuals.
- Assists in the evaluation of and validation of new methodologies and instrumentation works closely with Global Validations Department.
- Establishes good relationships internally and externally. Interacts with other departments, such as Project Management, LIS, Scientific Affairs, Global Validations, QA, Client Services and Global Labs. Also Interacts with clients and internal/external auditors.
- To recruit, train and develop staff in the various sections of the laboratory as required. Performs continuing education of laboratory staff in the various sections of the laboratory and sample management as required. Responsible for the evaluation of work performance of Technical laboratory staff in the section and for employee performance evaluations.
- Ensure there are sufficient personnel to cover workflow through staffing rosters, holiday approvals and overtime scheduling if required. Organize staff to work outside of normal working hours when required.
- Responsible for investigating temperature monitoring system response time.
- Any other relevant tasks as assigned by management.
- Consults, if applicable, with laboratory management prior to reporting out grossly abnormal results, and notifies the lab manager when an out of control test run is encountered
- Over-see work performed by all staff.
- Sets priorities for the team to ensure task completion; coordinates work activities of others.
- Evaluates performance of staff and develops supporting staff skills, encourage growth and provide regular performance feedback.
- Mentors and coaches staff. Trains new employees.
- To deputise for the Manager or above in the event of his or her absence.
What you will need:
- Bachelors' degree in Medical Technology or equivalent. OR
- A BSc degree in Medical Laboratory Science/Biomedical Science majoring in Chemistry, Haematology, Immunology, and/or Infectious Diseases.
- A postgraduate qualification such as FIBMS/FAMLS/ASCP or MSc/PhD with Flow Cytometry experience is desirable.
- At least six years of relevant experience and substantial managerial experience.
- Compliance with all health and safety legislation and awareness of employee responsibilities in this context. Basic knowledge of immunization requirements for the role of occupational health professions.
- Proficient and Compliant with all CAP and local agency regulatory requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Fluency in English both written and oral.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks with good organization skills and good attention to detail. Ability to work as part of, and set the example of performance standards for a team.
- Ability to work in conformance with standard operating procedure and conditions with a systematic approach to tasks committed to seeing things through to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to keep accurate, legible records and recognize the need to handle these records and all other information in line with GCP/GLP/GDP.
- Familiar with the operation of laboratory equipment with a demonstrated ability to check that equipment is functioning within its specifications and to respond appropriately to abnormalities.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand the principles of quality control, quality assurance. Knowledge of the role of audit and review in quality management, including quality control, quality assurance and the use of appropriate outcome measures.
- Demonstrates patience and knowledge of laboratory operations to act as a mentor to section team, identifying and developing each person's unique talent with a view to achieving department/company objectives.
- Customer Focused -providing timely, confident, reliable and friendly service to all our internal and external customers and inspiring the team to follow your example.
- Demonstrates a high level of personal integrity and ethical behavior with a responsible and mature approach to work duties. A willingness to lead from the front and inspire by example.
- Action oriented demonstrating the ability to handle workload demands resulting in the generation of large amounts of data and to trouble shoot issues timely when required.
- Creative and enthusiastic with the ability to suggest and assists in implementing process improvement initiatives.
- Ability to confidently interact with all levels in the organization and provide senior management with valued feedback.
- Basic working knowledge of LIMS with the desire to achieve the mathematical, computational and instrumentation skills necessary to work and progress in Biomedical Science.