User Experience (UX) Lead
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
User Experience (UX) Lead
Competitive Salary & Benefits
Disrupt an industry and change lives
We at AstraZeneca are a one purpose-led global organisation. The enablers and innovators, ensuring that we can fulfil our mission to push the boundaries of science and discover and develop life-changing medicines. Working in Technology here means you'll be a self-starter who is comfortable stepping up and taking ownership, willing to constantly explore and challenge the status quo. You'll be empowered to orchestrate new possibilities, solve challenges and continuously innovate.
Digital products and services are becoming increasingly important for AZ, whether these are aimed at patients (e.g. an asthma inhaler connected to a mobile app to remind patients to take their medicines), doctors or colleagues (e.g. a web tool for scientists to visualise real-time data coming from a clinical trial). To address this, ~5 years ago, we created an in-house global User Experience team to promote User-Centered Design (UCD) across AZ and ensure that these products are both usable and desirable.
The UX team is currently made up of 18 experts in UX Research, UX Design and UI/ Visual Design, across the UK (Cambridge, Macclesfield), US (Wilmington, DE) and China (Shanghai). We're a team that is growing in size and importance, offering great future career opportunities and able to make a real difference to people's lives.
Responsibilities of the role:
- The UX team researches what users want/need from digital products & services then uses the insights to design those products to be easy and delightful to use. These products and services include both external (patient- and/or doctor-facing) and internal colleague-facing tools, and cover a range of platforms (WeChat, websites, mobile apps, devices, etc.) We also apply UCD methodology to non-digital/ multi-channel services (i.e. Service Design/ Design Thinking). We are looking for someone with experience across the full end-to-end UCD process, both UX research and design, not just an 'expert designer'.
- You will lead the UX function in the China office, line managing a small team (2 permanent staff plus 1-2 interns/ contractors) and working across (mainly) local and (sometimes) global projects. The role is a mix of hands-on UX research and design work, and managing others, including external agencies/ vendors as well as the in-house team.
- On the UX Research side, you will carry out qualitative/quantitative user research studies across the product lifecycle, including formative research (e.g. user interviews or observation) and summative research (e.g. usability testing or field trials). You will use the insights you gather to inform the early design process; for example, creating personas or user journey maps to define the desired high-level experience.
- On the UX Design side, you will design the product's information architecture (IA), describing the end-user's experience through a product/ service, including creating detailed interaction designs and interactive prototypes. You will iteratively improve your designs based on results from user testing (carried out by yourself or others). You will work closely with technical developers during the build process to manage compromises and ensure the best possible UX is launched.
- As well as the tactical side of UX Design and Research, the role also includes a more strategic side. You will be the driving force in evangelizing the benefits of UX/ UCD across AZ China (and, in support of the Head of UX, globally), using a set of excellent case studies where UCD has made a measurable difference to business outcomes. You will develop new business for yourself and the wider UX team. You will coach your team, both technically and in softer skills. You will train non-UX colleagues into UX/ UCD methods.
Technical requirements for the role:
- Degree-level qualification (preferably postgraduate) in Ergonomics, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Industrial Design or a related relevant field
- Understanding of UX principles, both from academic learning and on-the-job experience
- Experience (typically 8+ years) as a UX Practitioner in an industrial (not just academic) environment - working either in or for large companies (i.e. client-side or agency-side)
- Experience across UX Research methodologies - e.g. interviews, surveys, usability testing, field trials - and how they fit into a full UCD process.
- Experience using research insights to make design decisions, and in creating strategic design documents such as Personas, User Journey Maps and Storyboards.
- Experience creating high-level information architectures, low-level flows and wireframes, interaction designs, interactive prototypes, etc.
- Experience with UX Design and interactive prototyping tools; e.g. Figma, Sketch, InVision, Axure, Adobe XD.
- Specific experience designing for mobile, with up-to-date knowledge of UX/ Interaction Design patterns for WeChat, iOS and Android. Also experience working across digital channels, including fixed-web and tablet too.
- A portfolio of case studies where good UCD has made a measurable (quantitative) difference to the quality of products/ services and to business outcomes
- Experience working with pharmaceutical/ medical/ healthcare products and services is not essential but would be nice to have
Soft skills required for the role:
- Experience and ability to work across a Global organisation, including very good English language skills (spoken and written)
- Experience line-managing a team, including successful coaching and performance management, career development, etc.
- Great stakeholder management, political awareness and influencing skills, including the ability to evangelize UCD to a senior audience
- The energy and pro-activity to develop new business opportunities for the UX team
- Able to successfully juggle the competing demands of multiple concurrent projects (mainly local, some Global) within a large corporate environment
- An excellent listener, with the ability to quickly filter the relevant user insights for design
- An excellent presenter, succinctly imparting UX designs, with appropriate rationale, in both written and spoken formats, and in plain, non-technical, language
- A great team player, able to work well as part of a UX team and also collaborate successfully with Product Managers, Business Analysts, Business Relationship Managers, Technical Developers, etc.
- An active member of the external UX community, with an interest in sharing and keeping up with the state-of-the-art in design tools and research methods
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
Interested? Come and join our journey.
Open Date: 12/05/2021
Closing Date: 11/06/2021