Associate Principal Scientist-Translational Genomics, R&D
- Experience Level
Do you have expertise in, and a passion for delivery of data utilizing cutting edge genomics techniques? Would you like to apply your expertise to generate high quality biomarker data from human clinical samples and have the opportunity to impact an exciting and industry-leading portfolio in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
Welcome to our Darwin Building, located on Cambridge Science Park, one of over 400 sites here at AstraZeneca. Providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca's priorities, it's important to us that you bring your full self to work every day. To help you maintain your best self, here's a sneak peek into some of the things this site provides for you…high quality lab and office facilities accommodating teams from our Oncology, BioPharmaceuticals R&D Organisations. Restaurant and bar facilities within the park along with space for recreational walks and jogging paths in 20 acres of grounds. The park hosts a child care nursery and health and fitness centre. This site is a 10-minute commute via car to Cambridge City centre, easily accessible via regular running public transport.
Join the team dedicated to Oncology, with an ambition to eliminate cancer as a cause of death. It's our big vision that unites and inspires us. With multiple indications and high-quality molecules at all stages of our innovative pipeline, we keep pushing forward. Fusing cutting-edge science with the latest technology to achieve breakthroughs. Backed by investment, we are aiming to deliver 6 new molecular entities by 2025. A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration - we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team. Pioneers of collaborative research we have built an unrivalled scientific community both internally and externally. Fusing academia and industry, we have united some of the world's foremost medical centres. Working seamlessly and inclusively, together we expedite research in some of the hardest-to-treat cancers. Have the opportunity to build a rewarding and meaningful career as part of the team committed to improving the lives of millions with cancer.
What you'll do
The Translational Medicine Genomics Lab focuses on the analysis of clinical samples using the best available solutions to maximize value for oncology projects. We use Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) as well as other advanced techniques to analyse circulating tumour DNA and tumour DNA/RNA, with growth into other technology areas planned. We provide expert consultation and support to oncology programmes via a mix of in-house analyses, external providers, and collaborators. We generate data to help understand key cancer pathway alterations, guide rational drug combinations, provide disease linkage data to guide indication selection and targeted patient populations, and use serial sample analysis to understand the dynamics of response / resistance to therapies.
This role will involve line management, working with internal and external partners to deliver data on clinical samples, and hands-on laboratory and analytical work depending on your expertise and alignment to oncology programmes. You will be responsible for supervising several members of the team, devising and agreeing appropriate strategies to deliver key translational data for projects, and supporting the team to deliver these. You will utilise your in depth genomics experience to provide advice and interpret and communicate data to stakeholders within Translational Medicine, Project teams, and more widely across Oncology R&D and other functions. You will be able to work independently but also as a part of our growing global team of genomics and informatics experts.
Your responsibilities / activities will include
- Work with Translational Medicine Leads to understand the genomic biomarker needs of their studies, develop analysis plans and help execute those plans to agreed time, cost, and quality
- Line manage and support several team members to maximise their delivery to projects and support their ongoing development
- Work with established and new vendors to plan, procure, and deliver genomic data via external labs
- Conceptualize, develop, and execute evaluations of platforms, vendors, and emerging technologies of clinical and translational utility
- Provide technical advice and genomic biomarker consultation to internal and external partners
- Generate data in a modern genomics lab utilising Automation, NGS, digital PCR, and other platforms
- Work with team members and aligned production informatics and bioinformatics experts to support data QC, analysis, interpretation and communication to stakeholders
- Record and communicate your results accurately, clearly and concisely
- Maintain appropriate documentation, be compliant with all internal and external policies and legal requirements around use of clinical samples, consent, and privacy
- Assist in preparation of regulatory documents and responses to questions from regulators
- Regularly publish in peer-reviewed journals, present internally and externally to maximise the impact of your work
Essential for the role
- Higher qualification in a relevant subject (PhD preferred)
- Line management/supervision of scientific staff - ability to engage, motivate, support and develop others
- Good organisation and planning - ability to manage a complex portfolio of work, prioritize, and deliver to agreed time and quality whilst effectively managing risks
- Excellent interpersonal skills - able to work collaboratively and productively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds, seniority, and territories to maximise engagement and delivery
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to document work clearly, concisely, and understand and describe its importance to others
- Good understanding of emerging genomics methods / technologies of relevance to oncology drug development and clinical trials
- Planning and delivery of genomic data from oncology clinical samples
- Strong problem-solving / troubleshooting skills; development of novel solutions for oncology genomics
Desirable for the role (experience in the following areas would be a distinct advantage)
- Drug discovery or Translational experience in any of the following drug development areas: DNA Damage Response, Tumour Drivers, Antibody Drug Conjugates, Epigenetics
- Hands-on experience with modern NGS techniques, platforms, and analysis of oncology specimens using those
- Experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry and of the drug development process
- Good publication record in the cancer biology/cancer genomics fields
- Working with DNA/RNA from formalin fixed paraffin-embedded tissues; liquid biopsy (ctDNA).
- Conducting work to Good Clinical Practice (GCP) within a regulatory /quality framework (e.g. ISO 15189-, CAP-, CLIA-accredited lab environment)
- Experience of contracting and managing relationships with CROs / 3rd party labs
- Understanding of the requirements for delivery of data for clinical trials
- Experience of data QC/analysis, NGS data analysis, and of working with bioinformaticians and data scientists to interpret results
Reporting relationship: Reports to Oncology Translational Genomics UK group lead
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.
- If you're curious to know more then please reach out to Louise Bennett
Competitive salary package and benefits
Close Date: 07/06/2021
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media,
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en