Director - In vitro pharmacology, Oncology Bioscience
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
Do you have expertise in Oncology drug discovery with a passion to deliver innovative target and disease biology support on novel targets and projects? Would you like to apply your expertise in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
Welcome to the CRUK Cambridge Institute on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, one of over 400 sites here at AstraZeneca, providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca's priorities, it's important to us that you bring your full self to work every day. To help you maintain your best self, here's a sneak peek into some of the things that we provide at our sites; high quality lab and office facilities accommodating teams from our Oncology, BioPharmaceuticals R&D Organisations. Restaurant and bar facilities within the park along with space for recreational walks and jogging paths in 20 acres of grounds. The park hosts a child care nursery and health and fitness centre. This site is a 10-minute commute via car to Cambridge City centre, easily accessible via regular running public transport.
In the Oncology Business Unit we relentlessly follow the science, challenging the status quo to deliver more effective treatments to patients in need. Our dedication means we purposefully push back the limits of knowledge to change the practice of medicine. To ensure no patient is left behind, no matter what stage of disease.
Join the team dedicated to Oncology, with an ambition to eliminate cancer as a cause of death. It's our big vision that unites and inspires us. With multiple indications and high-quality molecules at all stages of our innovative pipeline,
we keep pushing forward. Fusing cutting-edge science with the latest technology to achieve breakthroughs. Backed by investment, we are aiming to deliver 6 new molecular entities by 2025. Have the opportunity to build a rewarding and meaningful career as part of the team committed to improving the lives of millions with cancer.
What you'll do
As a Director you will lead across the in vitro pharmacology group in Oncology Bioscience based in Cambridge (UK).
You will provide strategic leadership across the in vitro pharmacology team and have responsibility for biology support to novel projects from target selection through to proof of concept. The in vitro pharmacology team consists of multidisciplinary scientists supporting oncology in vitro target validation, compound profiling, mode of action studies and disease positioning studies. You will be responsible for providing a platform for your team to successfully deliver against defined goals and develop as scientists. The role will require both line and matrix leadership. You will work collaboratively across groups to lead, manage or support projects to impact on the AZ Oncology pipeline.
- Providing strategic leadership and defining objectives to ensure the in vitro pharmacology group successfully deliver against broader AstraZeneca goals and objectives.
- Maintain an understanding and awareness of internal and external developments that could affect the discipline, and share this with team members.
- Identifying new drug development opportunities and conveying ideas to team members to foster a working environment that promotes science and encourages innovation on drug discovery projects.
- To contribute to and as part of the leadership team influence the strategic direction of the Bioscience group.
- Building networks with other leaders and external experts to learn about new developments, leveraging opportunities and share best practices.
- Leading a team of scientists, setting their goals and objectives and providing appropriate development opportunities.
- Ensuring that own work and work of your team is of a high ethical standard, Good Laboratory Practice, Safety Health and Environment standards and all other relevant internal and external regulation and standards.
Essential for the role
- A PhD in Oncology or equivalent experience in a relevant area of cancer biology.
- Extensive experience (>10 years) within the pharmaceutical industry working on projects at different stages of the drug discovery process.
- Expert reputation within the industry and strong publication record.
- Knowledge of priority disease areas including lung, breast, ovarian and prostate cancer biology.
- Experience leading a team of in vitro scientists within a matrix environment
- Proven ability to be an effective within multidisciplinary teams
- Broad and comprehensive understanding of most areas of oncology
- Experience generating data to gain an understanding of drug targets in disease.
- Requires a thorough understanding of therapeutic needs and therapies in the disease area
- Experience providing innovative solutions to complex problems within drug discovery projects.
- Excellent communication skills
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.
- If you're curious to know more then please reach out to Louise Bennett
Competitive salary package and benefits
Close Date: 17/05/2021
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media,
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
If you have site, country or departmental social media then feel free to switch any of the above links.