Senior scientist - Bioscience, Oncology
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Do you have expertise in, and a passion for delivery of robust and high quality ex vivo data to support drug discovery projects targeting breast cancer? you will work collaboratively with other disciplines across AstraZeneca; where you will have the opportunity to contribute to biomarker discovery and development for early and clinical phase projects in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
This role will be located on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, this site combines world-class biomedical research, patient care and education on a single site location in the heart of Cambridge. The office will be within walking distance of the new purpose-built building that will bring together the company's research and development activity in a state-of-the-art strategic R&D centre and global corporate headquarters. The building has been designed with the open architecture reflecting AstraZeneca's collaborative approach to research. Open laboratories and transparent glass walls will enable new ways of working across disciplines, whilst a central courtyard will put science on full display.
In the Oncology Business Unit we relentlessly follow the science, challenging the status quo to deliver more effective treatments to patients in need. Our dedication means we purposefully push back the limits of knowledge to change the practice of medicine. To ensure no patient is left behind, no matter what stage of disease.
Fast-paced, it takes agility and responsiveness to stay committed in our pursuit of excellence. We work with focus to seek the unanswered questions - innovating, challenging accepted norms, quick decision-making and taking smart risks. A place of trust, it's an opportunity to take accountability, be brave, speak up, step up and redefine Oncology, now and in the future. Be a part of improving lives. This is the time to join the team who is confident that cures for cancer are within our grasp.
What you'll do
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Oncology Bioscience group in Cambridge supporting our breast cancer strategy. You will become part of a large team of bioscientists and play a pivotal role in the delivery of robust and high quality ex vivo data to support drug discovery projects targeting breast cancer. Working collaboratively with other disciplines across AstraZeneca you will have the opportunity to contribute to biomarker discovery and development for early and clinical phase projects.
You should have a background in Oncology and a strong passion for experimental work & delivering data from the laboratory. You should have in-depth knowledge around disease biology, ideally with specific experience in the field of breast cancer. You will use your scientific judgement, ability to analyse data, lab experience and communication skills to contribute to experimental design and interpretation for either early or late stage drug discovery programmes.
- Leading aspects of delivery and strategy for projects within the AstraZeneca Breast Cancer portfolio
- Delivering ex vivo pharmacodynamic data according to the study plan as agreed with the team leader or project supervisor
- Designing, performing and interpreting pharmacodynamic tumour data from in vivo studies using RNA and protein profiling techniques eg western blotting, ELISA, qPCR
- Providing expert interpretation of the data, identifying innovative solutions to problems and putting forward plans for further experiments
- Communicating experimental data and key findings in a clear and concise manner to project teams
- Generating and maintaining clear experimental records
- Maintaining an awareness of current developments in the literature to support projects
Essential for the role
- PhD or 3 years of relevant industrial laboratory experience in pharmacology, in vivo, cell biology, biochemistry, or a related field
- Experience working in oncology with a specific focus on disease biology, ideally in breast cancer field
- Evidence of strong technical and experimental ability to deliver data from the lab
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Positive and collaborative team player with willingness to improve and learn new skills
- Passion for experimental work with a desire to pursue a career from the lab
Desirable for the role
- Lab-based drug discovery experience in academic or pharmaceutical company setting
- Understanding of in vivo study design.
- An understanding of the drug discovery process
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.
- If you're curious to know more then please reach out to Louise Bennett
Competitive salary package and benefits
Close Date: 21/05/2021
"As part of the application process for some roles at AstraZeneca, candidates may be asked to complete a series of online games, created by pymetrics, to assess certain candidate qualities to help evaluate potential match for the position. If the pymetrics process applies to this role, you will receive an email invitation with additional information following application. Once completed AZ will automatically receive your results - pymetrics will not be used solely in our decision-making process but will help us gather additional insight."
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media,
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
If you have site, country or departmental social media then feel free to switch any of the above links.