RWE Data Scientist
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Title: Real World Evidence - Data Scientist
Location: Cambridge UK, Gothenburg Sweden
At AstraZeneca we win through science, it's at the heart of our every success. That science is only possible when we all work together - we'll always make sure you're clear about how your role is connected to our wider mission to really show what science can do.
At AstraZeneca we're relentlessly curious about science, and pursue our work with passion. We believe that when we follow the science we can make game-changing discoveries that can transform the lives of patients around the world.
The Real World Evidence Centre of Excellence is a new group being growing within AstraZeneca. AstraZeneca has a pedigree of experience in Real World Evidence, having developed a coherent strategy to develop and internalize rich data assets the group is now amplifying those investments through a Real World Evidence Data Science capability.
Data Scientists that are successful in this role will become part of a growing RWE CoE within the Global Medical Affairs organisation, working on challenging problems Data Science can solve for accelerating evidence generation through to insights that could enable AstraZeneca to develop innovative medicines.
You will assist the due diligence on new data providers/vendors to advance AZ's Real World Evidence (RWE) data maturity, help shape the right analytics strategy for a range of Therapeutic Areas and provide informatics support for data acquisitions.
The ideal candidate for this role will bring a proven track record of delivering value through the leverage of routinely collected data from healthcare settings to provide health analytics and insights in both Public Health, Pharmaceutical Research and Development and Commercial context.
Provide scientific guidance on the application of Real World Evidence and observational research data to support pharmaceutical development problems
Support Pharmacovigilance teams and Epidemiologists extract value from large observational research data
Support technical teams provide access to analytical tools and develop visual analytics to enable self-serving applications for end customers
Provide clear technical input, options, and direction to strategic decisions on RWE platform and capability build
Provide strategic decisions on AZ Medical Evidence and Observational Research external collaborations in the US and other markets
Provide technical input, options and directions to strategic decisions made by AZ observational study teams on study design, data partner selection and best practices in RWE data utilization
Assist in building a capability that becomes a source of sustained competitive advantage for AZ/MedImmune in identifying, acquiring, integrating and mining diverse RWE data from multiple geographic and healthcare system sources to support evidence generation and real-world studies
Assist in the delivery of analytics and the build of analytics pieces as part of an RWE strategy
Evaluate and assess strengths and weaknesses of external RWE data sources via interrogation, and potential partners for advancing the data strategy for a given therapeutic area
Maintain a strong insight into the capabilities of potential external partners in RWE
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- PhD in data science or other advanced degree in life sciences with post doctoral or other training/work in Medical Informatics or related field
- Expertise in EMR/Health IT, disease registries, and insurance claims databases
- Expertise in clinical data standards, medical terminologies and controlled vocabularies used in healthcare data and ontologies (ICD9/10/ReadCode)
- Experience in Statistical Analysis Plan (SAP) generation and execution for observational studies
- Expertise in data mining approaches within healthcare settings generating insight from routinely collected healthcare data
- Expertise in methods development and application using statistical languages such as R/Matlab/SAS/SQL/Hadoop/Python
- Experience in advanced visualisation and visual analytics of routinely collected healthcare data
- Experience in real-world evidence and familiarity with health economics/epidemiology, and quantitative science such as health outcome modelling
- Strong track record in delivering leading edge informatics solutions in pharmaceutical R&D and commercial environments
- Experience in supporting pharmacoepidemiology studies with proven track record of advancing approaches with data science
- A history of patient care or equivalent background of working at a patient care setting that allows the candidate to bring medical perspective into real-world evidence generation and observational studies
- Demonstrated ability to build long-term relationships with stakeholders at senior levels, understand relevant scientific/business challenges at a deep level and translate into a programme of informatics activities to deliver defined value
- Ability to lead & manage multi-disciplinary health informatics projects
- Strong track record of delivering large, cross functional projects
- Experience working in a global organization and delivering global solutions
Job Posting start date: 21/04/2021
Job Posting end date: 31/05/2021
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.