Senior Formulation Scientist
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Senior Formulation Scientist (Product Development)
Salary & Benefits Competitive
Make a more meaningful impact to patients' lives around the globe
Here you'll have the opportunity to make a meaningful difference to patients' lives. With science at its heart, this is the place where breakthroughs born in the lab become transformative medicines - for the world's most complex diseases. Answer unmet medical needs by pioneering the next wave of science, focusing on outcomes and shaping the patient ecosystem.
Join the team where everyone feels a personal connection to the people that we impact. From our science labs to manufacturing at scale, we are committed to delivering at the highest quality. It's inspiring and rewarding work, influencing every part of the product lifecycle to deliver life-changing medicines. To ultimately make people's lives better - from patients and their families to all of us in society
Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) utilises great science delivered by great people to develop medicines that help millions of patients worldwide. As we adapt to the exciting challenges of our portfolio we have recently built the New Modalities and Parenteral Development (NMPD) organisation to further focus our late stage development activities. We're now looking to recruit a motivated Senior Formulation Scientist on a permanent basis into NMPD to work as part of multi-disciplinary teams across early to late stage formulation and process development. Together, we create life changing new medicines for patients through design of innovative medicines, development of high-quality products, and we drive technical excellence to enable the supply of our medicines.
As Senior Formulation Scientist you will be responsible for delivering the formulation design and product understanding to progress development of life-changing medicines within a dynamic team environment and meet project timeline. You will work collaboratively across boundaries to achieve these goals with team members from multiple disciplines (e.g. analytical, material science, engineering, biopharmaceutics, packaging, devices and many more)
Typical responsibilities for the successful applicant will include:
- Rational design, development and delivery of high quality parenteral drug products from first principles based on Target Pharmaceutical Profile requirements and patient needs.
- Ensuring development of high quality, robust sterile products and manufacturing processes through support of their control strategies, marketing applications and downstream commercialization activities (e.g. scale up from lab to pilot, clinical and commercial scale, technology transfer and ongoing technical support post-launch).
- Working effectively with colleagues across Product Development, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Operations to ensure the successful delivery of drug projects spanning all phases of development.
- Authoring of regulatory documentation to support clinical trial and marketing applications.
- Collaborating with others in the formulation design network to develop science and technology strategies and deliver capability build.
- Providing technical supervision and mentoring to peers and students.
- Driving innovation, securing intellectual property and enhancing AstraZeneca's scientific reputation by publishing high calibre research and engaging in external collaborations.
Skills, qualifications and Experience
- Industrial experience in parenteral drug product development with a degree in a related scientific discipline or a PhD in pharmaceutics
- Experience in parenteral product design (including solutions and lyophiles) and an understanding of the drug development process, spanning development through to commercialisation
- Good understanding of how drug substance properties influence formulation and manufacturing process design and how these impact final drug product quality
- Strong collaborative working and communication skills, including ability to work effectively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and different skill areas
- Ability to work safely and comply with key quality systems to ensure data integrity.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including ability to document work clearly, concisely and describe its importance to others within the context of the wider project
- Good organisational and planning skills with the ability to deliver to agreed time and quality
- Experience in development, scale up and technology transfer of sterile parenteral manufacturing processes lyophilisation
- Experience of using predictive science techniques or digital design to support formulation development
- Knowledge and experience of working to Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Experience of working with external suppliers and managing productive relationships
- Specialised knowledge of the theory of lyophilisation
Please note applications must include your current CV and a covering letter.
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
So, what's next?
Complete your application before the below closing date.
This role is open from 19/04/2021 and we welcome your application no later than 09/05/2021
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en