Executive Director of Business Development I
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
• Works closely with Senior/Executive Directors of Sales and/or Vice President of Sales and Client Services on client selection strategy, AE assignment, and account development plans.
• Manages, trains and provides leadership (coaching, mentoring, guiding, challenging, problem solving etc) to assigned AE's.
• Hires and develops diverse talent for open or new territories.
• Assigns accounts, territories and forecasts individual territory sales goals.
• Delivers order goals for the territory.
• Assists sales team in developing internal and external relationships and identifying new market opportunities.
• Conducts quarterly review of account plans.
• Works closely with sales leaders in other Covance business units to develop joint opportunities and relationships with clients.
• Facilitates negotiation of margin and pricing discussions both internally and externally.
• Manages team performance and feedback providing guidance on development opportunities and action plans.
• Monitors and controls team operating expenses.
• Leads scheduled networking events.
• Functions as an advisor to Account Executives, troubleshooting and resolving internal and external issues.
• Facilitates strong internal relationships and communication with operational colleagues.
• Identifies and executes process improvement opportunities.
• Utilizes SFDC to manage team pipeline, forecast and analyze key sales metrics.
• Develops AE coaching/actions plans as needed.
• Gathers and shares market intelligence and competitive information with sales team, peers and marketing.
• Assists with annual sales meeting planning.
• Provides sales reports/updates to Senior Management.
• Supports/assists in developing BU-based global MSAs and preferred provider agreements.
- Bachelors degree in life science or business field preferred; advance degree preferred
- Advanced industry knowledge
- Demonstrated client retention skills
- Ability to manage difficult client and/or financial situations
- Ability to differentiate Covance from competitors
- Experience developing and executing strategic business plans
- Ability to manage and motivate client facing teams
- Demonstrated leadership experience in leading and presenting to executives and senior levels of the client organization
- Extensive global collaboration experience
- Highly consultative
- Strong customer orientation
- Excellent negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to influence sales decisions
- Demonstrated ability to lead
- Experience managing people
10+ years sales (or relevant) experience selling services directly to medical device and diagnostics clients with direct interaction with mid-level and executive level decision makers