UK Biobank Team Leader - Biosamples
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Do you have previous experience in a biobank environment including knowledge of ethical and regulatory sample usage? If you do AstraZeneca may have the next role for you!
At AstraZeneca be empowered to be innovative and creative where difference is valued. Join a place built on innovation and creativity. Where different views and perspectives are welcomed and valued. An environment that champions inclusion, and teams that reflect the diversity of the communities that we serve
Human Biological Samples (HBS) are fundamental to medical research in the discovery, development and implementation of new treatments and diagnostics. They are ethically sensitive materials and underpin the delivery of every clinical trial. Biosamples is responsible for HBS standards throughout AstraZeneca R&D, ensuring seamless, legal and ethical delivery of biosamples for global clinical trials and research.
The UK Biobank Team Leader is accountable for the leadership and operation of the biobank team at a site or across several locations within a country. They ensure the team follows global biobank processes to deliver effective support to the science functions while maintaining compliance with HBS standards and external legislation. The Team Leader is the national expert on applicable biobank laws and regulations, being responsible for local biobank HBS compliance. They provide input and guidance on HBS requirements to local science functions.
You'll contribute or may lead the development of new approaches to improve the global biobank processes and will lead implementation of new ways of working at the site/country.
Typical Accountabilities, what you will be doing:
- Accountable for recruitment, retention and talent management of the biobank team
- Line management of a team of biobank scientists, development of individuals, the team and the skills required to meet the current and future needs of the local biobank.
- Accountable for the biobank operations at the site or within the country to deliver timely and compliant support to local science functions
- Accountable for HBS compliance, working closely with the HBS Governance and Compliance team
- Ensures work is performed in accordance with global standards, SOPs, Good Clinical Practice and legal requirements
- Local HBS subject matter expert, supporting local science functions with expert advice on biobank aspects
- Be part of the global biobank framework in AZ, aligning to agreed global processes
- Ensures appropriate standards for the local blood donor panel activities
- Lead and champions new innovations or approaches to improve global biobank processes
- Lead the implementation of new global biobank processes at the site/country ensuring global alignment.
- Define the global biobanking strategy with input from the Biosamples leadership team
- Keep up to date on biobanking legislation, strategy and practices
- Ensure the biobank keeps pace with developments in AZ strategy and science
- Collaborate with R&D leaders on Biosamples data opportunities and prioritize to have maximum impact on AZ programmes
- Setting multiyear strategy for Biobank Data and ensuring implementation, including capability sizing, skill profile, supplier model, technology platforms, R&D strategy alignment and partnership with other supply functions such as IT and Procurement
- Monitoring, reporting and maximizing the total Return on investment of Biosamples Data: agreeing performance metrics and ensuring delivery of the team
- Ensuring capability best practice and ways of working (Automation) of Biosamples Data and ensuring teams are compliant to AZ Data guidelines and regulations
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Degree/PhD in a relevant scientific discipline with significant relevant experience, preferably in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry
- Previous demonstrated experience of working with HBS and biobanking
- Expert knowledge on ethical and regulatory aspects of biobanking sample usage
- Thorough understanding of, and experience with, working with various IT solutions, such as LIMS systems and databases
- Excellent team working and networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise.
- Excellent decision-making and communication skills, scientific judgement and analytical skills
- Strong ability to work independently
- Willingness to take decisions and find solutions
- Fluent in English
- Experience of leading a team
- Understanding of GCP
Location: Melbourn Science Park, UK, with some travel to Granta Park UK required
Salary: Competitive + Excellent Benefits
Closing Date: 30th April 2021
Next steps, if the role looks suitable please apply!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en