Scientist III, Upstream
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Our employees are able to develop their careers in exciting new medical technologies, and so can you.
Oxford Biomedica’s Process R&D team consists of experienced scientists and engineers that have extensive expertise in all aspects of upstream and downstream development. PR&D take processes from the laboratory “bench” scale and apply process expertise and engineering fundamentals for delivery to Manufacturing.
We are currently recruiting for a Scientist III, Upstream to join the team. The purpose of this role is to perform and report laboratory-based experiments or investigations in accordance with scientific or regulatory requirements in line with departmental objectives
Your responsibilities in this role would be:
- Develop and optimize upstream processes for producing lentiviral vectors, working within the Process R&D group.
- Design and execute small scale and laboratory scale bioreactor cell culture activities for scale-up/scale-down of existing bioprocesses. Support new product process development and scale-up activities. This requires working with miniature cell-cultivation systems and the scale-up to larger bioreactors.
- Involvement in activities ranging from vector manufacture, process optimization, technology transfer, and process validation activities associated with the manufacture of new gene therapy vectors.
- Perform routine cell culture activities.
- Lead the design and execution of experiments /investigations in accordance with correct methodologies and procedures under the direction of the Team Leader or a senior scientist
- Carry out such other tasks as are required from time to time for the efficient running of the Company’s business upon request from your line manager or a Director of the Company.
- Analyse and interpret experimental data for reporting to stakeholders within OXB
- Prepare written reports to a high standard and present data within the Process R&D group.
- Liaise with other members of the Process R&D group and assist with other development activities where appropriate.
- Liaise with diverse internal and external collaborators in order to streamline process activities, data interpretation and introduction of new technologies.
- An understanding of, or experience in downstream processing would be beneficial.
- Accountable for own performance in alignment with group objectives and deadlines.
- Ensure a high standard of record keeping and documentation of experiments and investigations.
- Contribute to the efficient and safe operation of the laboratory
- Writing of departmental risk assessments, SOPs and other documentation where appropriate.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Minimum BSc Degree programme level, a postgraduate degree and/or relevant experience
- An understanding of and experience in process development and/or gene therapy would be an advantage
- A sound understanding of basic cell culture principles and processes
- An understanding of metabolite analysis in the context of mammalian cell culture and media development
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Pharmaceutical industry experience in biological research and development or equivalent experience gained elsewhere
- Experience with suspension cell culture
- Experience with the operation of laboratory, pilot or production scale cell culture bioreactors is desired
- Practical understanding of how own area of operation relates to the overall business of OXB.
- Understanding of laboratory health and safety requirements.
- Competency in data capture, reporting and management systems.
- Capable of explaining clearly why an experiment is being conducted and how the experiments help the group meet their objectives.
- Knowledge of the overall research programme in your group.
- Awareness of regulatory requirements e.g. GMP, GLP, GCP and/or Validation and Quality Management systems.
- Familiar with data analysis software packages such as but not limited to Microsoft Excel, JMP, Design Expert™, Graphpad Prism
Do you want to feel inspired every day? We’re future-focused and our business is growing rapidly. We succeed together through passion, commitment and team work, and so can you.
Collaborate. Contribute. Change lives.
No agencies please