Director, Statistical Methodology and Data Science
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Director, Statistical Methodology and Data Science
Location: Cambridge, UK
Competitive salary and benefits
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Statistical Innovation? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact Oncology Research in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
Our oncology statistics team is totally focused on delivering innovation, science and seeking out opportunity. This dynamic team is looking for passionate, innovative individuals to help develop, lead and shape the way we work. We are committed to supporting personal development and growth of individuals.
We have achieved a lot in a short space of time by focusing on our pipeline and evaluating novelty and clinical development movement. In 2019 and 2020 we were ranked at the top of the invention scale with "best pipeline" by 'IDEA Pharma'. But the next chapter of our pipeline is more exciting than ever… We have an ambitious goal to deliver 6 new molecular entities by 2025.
We are currently looking for an experienced Statistical Science Director to work at the heart of our clinical project teams. Your proven statistical expertise will be a key influence on our clinical program designs, informing our decision making and driving best practice.
You will sit within our Statistical Innovation group in Oncology Biometrics (OBM) department, which is a methodological hub for statistical design and analysis of clinical trials. Working as part of Data Science and Analytics (DSA), you'll be able to access technology at the forefront of science in an innovative environment, where you will have the scope to develop creative statistical ideas and approaches, and to apply them in your work.
Joining a team of statistical methodology experts, you will provide key input as you work to find solutions to problems at critical stages in the drug development cycle. This is exciting and technically challenging work in a dynamic and constantly changing landscape. Your key focus will be on producing pragmatic solutions, often within a tight time scale where the emphasis will be to deliver first, then refine and develop your solutions thereafter.
You will contribute to, or lead capability build in more than one of the following statistical areas: Clinical trial design and analysis, exploratory and secondary analysis of clinical trial and EHR data, estimates, missing Data, Bayesian analysis, observational studies, statistical methods in HTA and health economics. You will also provide expert consultancy on key issues for fellow statisticians working in our therapeutically aligned statistics groups, as well as medical scientists and other key roles across the business. This will involve partnership both internally and externally with equivalent role in Biopharma R&D Unit leading and participating in strategic activities such as capability build projects, which can directly impact improvements to the way clinical trials are designed and analysed in AstraZeneca. As well as developing and implementing new methodology, interacting with external scientists and regulators, through publications, presentations and cross-industry collaborations. There will also be a focus proactively identify new areas where Statistical Innovation can add value, developing collaborative relationships with the external scientific/academic community.
- MS or PhD in Statistics, Biostatistics or Mathematics or a related discipline, followed by experience of independent academic research and/or clinical drug development.
- Documented ability of delivering innovative statistical solutions in an applied environment related to at least one of the following areas: analysis of clinical trial and EHR data, survival modelling and analysis, Bayesian analysis, cancer epidemiology.
- Strong knowledge of programming in R and/or SAS.
- High level of competence in global and cross-skilled collaborative working.
- Track record of research and methodological development in Statistics, supported by scientific publications in first class statistical journals.
- Desire to apply your scientific competence on practical problems, for the benefit of patients.
- Knowledge / research experience in the development of statistical methodology related to the analysis of large-scale health database, dose finding and escalation in clinical trials, meta-analysis, Bayesian statistics, longitudinal modelling.
- Broad awareness of statistical issues against the evolving scientific and regulatory landscape. Experience with oncology drug development.
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Date role open: 24th March 2021
Date role closed for applications: 24th April 2021