Senior DMPK Project Representative - Oncology R&D
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
Senior DMPK Project Representative
The Oncology DMPK team is part of Oncology R&D, a core therapeutic area for AstraZeneca.
Do you have expertise in Oncology, and a passion for PKPD modeling and DMPK science, applied to Cancer biology?
Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the lives of patients in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration - we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Welcome to Cambridge, one of over 400 sites here at AstraZeneca, providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca's priorities, it's important to us that you bring your full self to work every day. To help you maintain your best self, here's a sneak peek into some of the things this site provides for you…
Where life meets Science…Chesterford Research Park offers advanced laboratory and office space set within 250 acres of idyllic parkland near Cambridge - modern, dynamic, flexible facilities perfectly appointed for biotechnology, pharmaceutical and R&D companies. You will have access to a stylish, fully air conditioned health and fitness centre, an onsite restaurant, Lunch & Learn development activities, all within a spacious environment while utilising the most advanced technology.
This role will then relocate to the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, this site combines world-class biomedical research, patient care and education on a single site location in the heart of Cambridge. This new purpose-built site will bring together the company's research and development activity in a state-of-the-art strategic R&D centre and global corporate headquarters. The building has been designed with the open architechture reflecting AstraZeneca's collaborative approach to research. Open laboratories and transparent glass walls will enable new ways of working across disciplines, whilst a central courtyard will put science on full display.
Be part of fulfilling our ambition to be world leaders in Oncology. We are already the fastest growing team within AstraZeneca and across the industry, and there are countless new indications and targets in our game-changing pipeline. We deliver this value through launch excellence, commercial effectiveness and maximising the lifecycle. By leveraging our commercialised portfolio we are confident we can change the practice of medicine and redefine cancer treatment.
We're brave disruptors - entrepreneurial, courageous and pioneering in our approach. Here you have the opportunity to step up, take personal accountability and lead changes in our ever-evolving environment.
With pace and drive, comes trust that we will get it done. Embrace the freedom to create and expand your horizons. Always backed and supported by pioneering leaders, this is the place to build a world-class career that's meaningful and rewarding.
The vision of AstraZeneca Oncology is to redefine cancer, redefine our solutions to cancer, and restore patients' lives. To achieve this, we have an exciting and diverse portfolio that focuses on four scientific platforms that we believe show the greatest potential for yielding effective medicines for cancer patients. These scientific platforms include; Immuno-Oncology (IO), Tumor Drivers & Resistance (TDR), DNA Damage Response (DDR) and Antibody Drug Conjugates (ADC) and we are developing therapeutic agents across multiple modalities including; small molecules, biologics, Antibody Drug Conjugates (ADCs), nano-medicines and PROTACs.
What you'll do
DMPK Project representatives occupy high profile, visible roles within Oncology R&D. We are recruiting a senior individual who has a passion for DMPK science, experience and expertise in both discovery and development DMPK support for both small molecule and biologic therapeutics and can provide strategic insights to Governance, Drug Project and Functional leadership teams.
The individual may have project accountabilities from early drug discovery towards candidate drug selection and in all clinical phases of development through to registration and life cycle management. Our project representatives are responsible for the overall non-clinical DMPK, including pre-clinical PK, translational PK and PK-PD, biotransformation and bioanalysis contributions to projects to fulfil internal and regulatory requirements including registration. The candidate will lead DMPK interactions with senior leaders in Oncology R&D and the full range of disciplines and functions involved, toxicology, clinical pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences.
- Design, commission and conduct appropriate experimental studies to support design, project progression and candidate selection to understand, risk mitigate and resolve project ADME challenges.
- Apply an expert understanding of DMPK, physico-chemical property assays and biotransformation reactions to project chemistry and data.
- Recommend, initiate, lead and champion new innovations that ensure cutting-edge science is applied to drug project issues.
- Generate, apply and interpret predictive models for in-vitro and in-combo DMPK data to allow virtual screening of new compound designs.
- Define programmes to understand the DMPK and meet internal and regulatory requirements consistent with project milestones and timelines
- Project manage deliverables from DMPK and facilitate interpretation / integration into project knowledge
- Prepare the DMPK part of internal/regulatory documents (e.g. IND, IMPD, IB, NDA)
- Provide disciplinary scientific leadership and mentorship for less experienced scientists
- Conduct collaborative research aligned to DMPK and Oncology objectives and publish research papers in internationally recognised journals.
Minimum Requirements - Education, Experience and Capabilities
- PhD in Chemistry/Biochemistry/Pharmacology with significant (>10y) drug discovery and development experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of discovery and development DMPK including modelling and simulation and a proven ability to delineate the impact of chemical structure on measured properties.
- Expert technical knowledge of DMPK and Physical Chemistry science.
- Significant experience of leading and managing projects and teams to deliver scientific and functional knowledge
- Significant track record of delivering DMPK scientific contributions in discovery as well as in development settings via publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
- Wide experience in pharmaceutical R&D including a knowledge of the regulatory requirements needed to fulfil the DMPK contribution to new drug submissions
- Strong customer focus with the ability to have robust discussions with project leaders and key stakeholders to ensure that project, scientific and resource demands are aligned.
- Bring a fresh perspective into the group and the enthusiasm to tackle new challenges and learn new skills
- Whilst there are no direct line reports, there is an expectation to coach and mentor more junior scientists and opportunities to supervise students, interns and Post-Docs to pursue scientific interests
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
Competitive salary and benefits package on offer.
Closing date: 8th May 2021
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en