Scientist IV, Upstream Process Development (12 month maternity cover)
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Our employees are able to develop their careers in exciting new medical technologies, and so can you.
Oxford Biomedica’s Process R&D team consists of experienced scientists and engineers that have extensive expertise in all aspects of upstream and downstream development. PR&D take processes from the laboratory “bench” scale and apply process expertise and engineering fundamentals for delivery to Manufacturing.
We are currently recruiting for a Scientist IV, Upstream to join the team for a 12 month maternity cover. The purpose of this role is to plan, execute and report relevant investigations, and to support other members of the group
Your responsibilities in this role would be:
- Develop and optimize upstream processes for producing lentiviral vectors, working within the Process R&D group.
- Design and execute small scale and laboratory scale bioreactor cell culture activities for scale-up/scale-down of existing bioprocesses. Support new product process development and scale-up activities. This requires working with miniature cell-cultivation systems and the scale-up to larger bioreactors.
- Involvement in activities ranging from vector manufacture, process optimization, technology transfer, and process validation activities associated with the manufacture of new gene therapy vectors.
- Perform routine cell culture activities.
- Lead the design and execution of experiments /investigations in accordance with correct methodologies and procedures under the direction of the Team Leader or a senior scientist
- Analyse and interpret experimental data for reporting to stakeholders within OXB
- Prepare written reports to a high standard and present data within the Process R&D group.
- Liaise with other members of the Process R&D group and assist with other development activities where appropriate.
- Liaise with diverse internal and external collaborators in order to streamline process activities, data interpretation and introduction of new technologies.
- An understanding of, or experience in downstream processing would be beneficial.
- Accountable for own performance in alignment with group objectives and deadlines.
- Ensure a high standard of record keeping and documentation of experiments and investigations.
- Contribute to the efficient and safe operation of the laboratory
- Writing of departmental risk assessments, SOPs and other documentation where appropriate.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following skills and experience:
- BSc, MSc or PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant Bioscience with an appropriate level of relevant experience
- A sound understanding of cell culture principles and processes.
- Experience with suspension and/or adherent cell culture.
- An understanding of metabolite analysis in the context of mammalian cell culture and media development.
- Capable of explaining clearly why an experiment is being conducted and how the experiments help the group meet their objectives.
- Ability to interpret results and assist in troubleshooting.
- Competency in data capture, reporting and management systems.
- High level of familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Familiar with data analysis software packages such as but not limited to Microsoft Excel, JMP, Design Expert™, Graphpad Prism.
- Practical understanding of how own area of operation relates to the overall business of OXB.
- Understanding of laboratory health and safety requirements and ensuring colleagues adhere to these.
- Knowledge of the overall research programme in your group.
- Awareness of regulatory requirements e.g. GMP, GLP, GCP and/or Validation and Quality Management systems.
- Capable of following company standard operating procedures and requirements.
- High level of familiarity with the current literature in a defined project area
In addition, desirable skills include:
- Experience with the operation of laboratory, pilot or production scale cell culture bioreactors
- Pharmaceutical industry experience in biological research and development, or equivalent experience gained elsewhere
- Experience with bioprocess analytical techniques, such as but not limited to, cell-based assays, flow cytometry, nucleic acid extractions, qPCR, SDS PAGE, Western blot analysis, ELISA, and HPLC
- Experience with downstream processing techniques
Do you want to feel inspired every day? We’re future-focused and our business is growing rapidly. We succeed together through passion, commitment and team work, and so can you.
Collaborate. Contribute. Change lives.
No agencies please