Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics, Oncology R&D
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Bioinformatics? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Early Computational Oncology team that collaborates with our oncology drug project teams throughout the research and early development pipeline. From new target discovery to translational medicine and clinical trials. Our global group aligns its activities to AstraZeneca's primary areas of focus in Oncology: immuno-oncology, DNA damage response, tumour drivers & resistance, epigenetics, cell therapies and antibody-drug conjugates. This is a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines. AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies.
Welcome to AstraZeneca where we have over 400 sites, providing a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves is at the core of AstraZeneca's priorities, it's important to us that you bring your full self to work every day. To help you maintain your best self, here's a sneak peek into some of the things that our sites provide for you (depending on location), Gym access After-work events, Lunch & Learns, Bright and spacious environment, Sustainable office working environment, Onsite Childcare , Networking events. This position may require you to work at multiple sites based in Cambridge.
Be part of fulfilling our ambition to be world leaders in Oncology. We are already the fastest growing team within AstraZeneca and across the industry, and there are countless new indications and targets in our game-changing pipeline. We deliver this value through launch excellence, commercial effectiveness and maximising the lifecycle. By leveraging our commercialised portfolio we are confident we can change the practice of medicine and redefine cancer treatment.
We're brave disruptors - entrepreneurial, courageous and pioneering in our approach. Here you have the opportunity to step up, take personal accountability and lead changes in our ever-evolving environment.
With pace and drive, comes trust that we will get it done. Embrace the freedom to create and expand your horizons. Always backed and supported by pioneering leaders, this is the place to build a world-class career that's meaningful and rewarding. Here we're on a journey to becoming digitally-enabled, to discover new ways of offering better solutions to our patients. Join the team with a vision to use data as a tool, to build a better, deeper, more personal understanding of the people we're helping. To ultimately deliver better outcomes for them - through dynamic omnichannel content, personal relationships and experience.
What you'll do
The Early Computational Oncology team is growing to meet the challenges of pre-clinical and clinical big data generation initiatives in AZ Oncology including DNA sequencing, single-cell and bulk expression, proteomics and CRISPR. There exists an opportunity for a talented and motivated bioinformatician with strong expertise in cancer omics to join the team as a senior scientist. The role will work with the AZ Oncology Tumour Targeted Delivery (TTD) and Immuno-Oncology, Circuits-Engagers, Cell Therapy (ICC) drug project teams to deliver actionable insights from clinical and pre-clinical data and to develop bioinformatic capabilities that power our ability to do this.
- Work as part of drug project and clinical teams to understand their scientific and technical challenges and proactively impact these using bioinformatics.
- Apply data and knowledge analytics to deliver actionable insight driving discovery and development of the next generation of cancer medicines.
- Discover, design and code innovative ways to identify and visualise meaningful patterns in complex data.
- Work with our labs to influence generation of data assets.
- Share code and train peers and bench scientists in the tools critical to understanding complex data.
- Collaborate with industry and academia.
- Publish your work in high impact journals.
Essential for the role
- Relevant PhD (or equivalent graduate degree plus proven applied experience), combining:
- Technical expertise in applied bioinformatics, computational biology, data science or biostatistics.
- A deep understanding of the molecular mechanisms driving cancer or immunological disorders.
- R and/or Python programming and visualisation expertise.
- Skilled in effective communication of complex data to a non-expert.
- Expertise in one or more of the following:
- Analysis and immunological interpretation of multi-omic profiling data including genetics, proteomics, transcriptomics (single cell or bulk), Flow, CyTOF.
- Data management including curation, data engineering, FAIR and reproducible research practices.
- Enthusiasm and persistence in the application of analytic methods to complex biological problems.
- Familiarity with the Unix environment.
- Capability of successfully managing multiple simultaneous projects.
- Working effectively within cross-disciplinary science teams, including with functional leaders.
- Experience contributing to the research community through publication, conferences and code.
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what's next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.
- If you're curious to know more then please reach out to Louise Bennett
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
If you have site, country or departmental social media then feel free to switch any of the above links.
Competitive salary & benefits
Close date: 30/04/2021