- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Job Title: Laboratory Manager
Location: Dublin 18
At ICON, it's our people that set us apart.
As a global provider of drug development solutions, our work is serious business. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun while you do it. With our vision to be the partner of choice in drug development, we hire only the best and brightest in the industry! Are you one of them?
At ICON, we have an incredible opportunity for a Site Activation Manager to join the team in our Leopardstown, Dublin 18 location.
Manages the operation of a department area in the Technical Laboratory within quality and budgetary guidelines. Ensure the laboratory completes work with defined TAT within the guidelines of published standard operating procedures.
Responsible for working with ICL management to maintain global consistency of procedure implementation.
- Manages the activities of the laboratory department within quality and budgetary guidelines. Ensures work in accordance of agreed turn-around time. Monitors and review proficiency testing, operational and department budget, laboratory quality control data, quality control systems and corrective actions. Conceive and implement continuous improvements and operational updates. Assists in developing and responsible for managing metrics related to all of the above.
- Develop, implement and manage to performance standards for staff related to quality and efficiency, including productivity.
- Manages the adherence to written internal and external quality control procedures in order to ensure the quality of the results. To evaluate means and standard deviations for quality control materials and maintain Corrective action logs as appropriate.
- Responsible for the quality and timelines of technical procedures to ensure full compliance with CAP, relevant government regulations, GDP and other relevant standards as determined by the company Monitors reagents and supplies for section and assists in the performance of all related tasks for managing inventory.
- Builds strong and effective teams, valuing different contributions; works with and through others, involving people in issues that affect them. Assist management in the recruitment and selection of staff.
- Operates independently with a willingness to make decisions; Projects credibility and makes a professional and positive impression on others; Monitors progress and holds self and others accountable. Liaise with clients, vendors and staff on all department issues.
- Maintains oversight of reagent and supply orders and approval of inventory purchases together with invoice coding. Assists the Corporate procurement team and negotiates pricing and service requirements with Vendor representatives in the best interest of ICON.
- Effectively monitors laboratory operations in section and provides guidance to staff for all issues that arise including but not limited to, instrument failures, reagent/ quality control issues, sample integrity issues, delays in testing and communication of abnormal result.
- Identifies the key elements of a situation and any gaps and inconsistencies in data. Makes rational judgments from available information and analysis. Actively participates in Root cause analysis investigations and process improvement initiatives. Responsible for timely and accurate responses to Quality Issues assigned to them and/or their department.
- Creates an environment that motivates people; Identifies development opportunities for self and others; Acts as a coach and mentor and shares expertise. Maintain a positive working environment ensuring staff motivation in particular periods of high workloads. Maintain low levels of staff turnover, actively contributing to the retention of key individuals.
- Manages the evaluation of and validation of new methodologies and instrumentation works closely with Global Validations Department.
- Works very closely with other departments, such as Project Management, LIS, Scientific Affairs, Global Validations, QA, Client Services and Global Labs. Also Interacts with clients and internal/external auditors.
- Manage the recruitment, training and development of staff in the various sections of the laboratory as required. Performs continuing education of laboratory staff in the various sections of the laboratory and sample management as required. Responsible for the evaluation of work performance of Technical laboratory staff in the section and for employee performance evaluations.
- Review daily, weekly, and monthly metrics for assigned departments and implement as necessary staffing reallocation to ensure efficiency and quality.
- Be aware of all pertinent employee health and safety regulations and requirements for their assigned department and manage compliance to same.
- Approves purchase orders and all appropriate purchases for department area.
- Covers for the Senior Manager/Director in the event of his or her absence.
- Any other relevant tasks as assigned by management.
- Over-see work performed by all staff.
- Sets priorities for the team to ensure task completion; coordinates work activities of others including scheduling to work outside of normal working hours when required.
- Evaluates performance of staff and develops supporting staff skills, encourage growth and provide regular performance feedback.
- Mentors and coaches staff. Trains new employees.
What you will need:
- In depth proven experience as a Technologist or an equivalent level of experience in a science related function.
- Bachelors' degree in Medical Technology or equivalent. OR
- A BSc degree in Medical Laboratory Science/Biomedical Science majoring in Chemistry, Haematology, Immunology, and/or Infectious Diseases.
- A postgraduate qualification such as FIBMS/FAMLS/ASCP or MSc while highly desirable is not essential.
- Compliance with all health and safety legislation and awareness of employee responsibilities in this context. Basic knowledge of immunization requirements for the role of occupational health professions.
- Proficient and Compliant with all CAP and local agency regulatory requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Fluency in English both written and oral.