Group Lead, Downstream Process Development
- Experience Level
Our employees are able to develop their careers in exciting new medical technologies, and so can you.
Oxford Biomedica’s Process R&D team consists of experienced scientists and engineers that have extensive expertise in all aspects of upstream and downstream development. PR&D take processes from the laboratory “bench” scale and apply process expertise and engineering fundamentals for delivery to Manufacturing.
We are currently recruiting for a Group Lead, Downstream Process Development to join the team. The purpose of this role is to manage the effective performance of scientific teams and major projects within Process R&D with a tactical focus on day to day management and meeting the scientific, clinical, manufacturing and business requirements of the department in line with company goals.
Your responsibilities in this role would be:
- Provide leadership, direction and line management to multiple teams of scientists to contribute to the overall group objectives in line with company objectives
- Be responsible for day to day operations within the group and ensuring project objectives are met within a set time frame and ensure projects remain in budget.
- Ensure all direct reports and persons involved in projects are fully trained and have a sufficient level of knowledge to undertake and interpret experiments.
- Maintain a high standard of record keeping and documentation of experiments so that information is clearly captured, disseminated and reported.
- Disseminate critical findings which may have a business impact to other departments within the company.
- Progress process development projects, optimisation and scale-up activities for the manufacture of gene-based medicines (both internal and external programs).
- Provide upstream/downstream expertise and contribute to process design and scale-up, to deliver new and improved bio-manufacturing processes based on Quality by Design (QbD) and DoE (where applicable), which can be operated within a GMP environment.
- Have excellent knowledge of project area literature and upcoming technologies and ensure teams are up to date with current thinking and literature.
- Conduct and direct research of the highest quality, ensuring the same of other members of the group/project. Compile reports of scientific data and project findings with clear conclusions and recommendations for internal and external review.
- Evaluate and implement (and develop if necessary) new technologies/methodologies that may benefit the company in its research/development, manufacturing or business programmes.
- Support the development and implementation of manufacturing processes/continuous improvement programmes.
- Contribute to cross department activities providing expert advice and technical input where required. Provide technical expertise to other departments, clear direction for project research programmes, solutions to project problems and contribute to company-wide issues where required. Contribute to the scientific and business needs of the company.
- Report results of the group to head of department and senior management.
- Present data at internal and external meetings and conferences to peers and subject leaders in the field.
- Prepare manuscripts for publication and documents for patent applications, regulatory authorities and external collaborators.
- Responsible for ensuring all scientific or proprietary data is submitted to PatentSafe or recorded in appropriate official documentation.
- Establish business relationships with external contractors and partners to ensure that department objectives are met. Develop external collaborations and business relationships which benefit the company and further its goals in line with company policies.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Postgraduate degree (or equivalent level qualification) in a relevant science
- Relevant, practical industry experience in executing cell culture / downstream projects/activities
- Extensive industry experience in executing cell culture/upstream/downstream projects/activities with substantial relevant experience
- A detailed knowledge and experience of developing viral vector based technologies
- A highly motivated, enthusiastic, positive attitude
- Proven line management experience
- Experience of managing multiple teams and projects
- Proven leadership and project management experience
Do you want to feel inspired every day? We’re future-focused and our business is growing rapidly. We succeed together through passion, commitment and team work, and so can you.
Collaborate. Contribute. Change lives.
No agencies please