Associate Principal Scientist - Chemistry
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
At AstraZeneca every one of our employees makes a difference to patient lives every day. We are building on our strong pipeline and turning ideas into life-changing medicines that benefit patients around the globe!!
This is an exciting opportunity to work within the Chemistry Group at AstraZeneca. As part of the group you will work on the design, synthesis and characterisation of novel drug payload molecules and warheads, for antibody conjugation and biological evaluation.
- Leads a small team to develop scientific methodology to be used in chemistry related projects, or provides experienced technical input into the process
- Leading a small team to drive the establishment and implementation of new methods, practises and ways of working by engaging others within the region and between skill groups, or uses expert technical knowledge to provide a forward looking science and technology view and develop proposals for improved practise within drug projects across regions and areas of the business
- Applies technical knowledge and expertise to achieve project targets in a timely fashion and to agreed quality standards.
- Keeps abreast of trends within the external scientific world to transform novel ideas appropriately into research programs and activities within AstraZeneca
- Shares experience, knowledge and industry developments with peer scientists in AstraZeneca, or other internal concerned parties, with the purpose of growing general level of competence and industry awareness
- Responsible for determining which processes and methodologies should be pursued, and making decisions about how much resources to invest in them, or contributes to this decision making process as a valued expert
- Supports on-going change and risk management
- Ensures own work, and the work of others, is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- PhD in Chemistry with PostDoc experience
- Line management experience desirable
- Significant experience in a relevant scientific discipline
- Theoretical knowledge and long term experience of relevant techniques and technologies
- Understanding the process of successful drug discovery/drug development
- Solid understanding of AstraZeneca business objectives that are related to R&D
- Solid understanding of relevant company and national regulations and industry standards
- Understanding of patent and IP strategies