Principal Scientist, Analytical Science Project Expert
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being ambitious - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.Chemical Development:
In Chemical Development we believe that nothing is impossible, and we are determined to push the boundaries of science to deliver medicines to our patients. We combine people's technical knowledge and understanding with their talent and seek to design, develop and optimise synthetic routes that deliver the active pharmaceutical ingredients of our medicines in a balanced, commercially viable way. We believe in innovation and continuous improvement, working closely with colleagues in academia and across industry, to ensure that we apply the newest technologies and principles in the processes we develop.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Scientist Analytical Project Specialist in our growing analytical science skill group. Analytical Science is fundamental to what we do in Chemical Development, therefore maintaining and developing cutting-edge expertise in analytical science underpins our ability to delivery robust and sustainable commercial manufacturing processes. As a specialist in Analytical Science with a proven track record of delivering innovative solutions to problems in a pharmaceutical development environment, you will be responsible for ensuring we are developing our analytical capability, delivering robust analytical methods and control strategies to regulatory submissions for small molecule and new modality APIs.Accountabilities/Responsibilities:
The role holder is responsible for developing and improving analytical project capability within Chemical Development:
Enable the right analytical understanding to be generated across all aspects of Chemical Development Route and Process design.
Provide scientific leadership and mentoring to multi-disciplinary teams of chemists, analysts, process engineers and specialists to develop robust commercial control strategies and analytical methods.
Assure approvable regulatory submission packages (both clinical and marketing)
Enhance the analytical research and development capability across the Chemical Development department.
Defining and prioritising strategic improvement programmes, along with mechanisms to secure resources.
To assure we maintain and optimise supply for AstraZeneca commercial products meeting cost and quality targets for our customers.The role includes:
Understanding the project portfolio and the key analytical challenges within:
Create, prioritise and drive the identification, investigation and implementation of the solutions to these challenges
Identifying solutions (beyond our established capability) to these challenges whilst also developing methodologies
Driving knowledge and deployment of core analytical skills into AZ Drug Projects
Acting as a reference to drug project teams on project challenges and facilitate early support/advice/coaching from across Chemical Development
Provide advice to project teams to ensure scientific rigour in analytical development activities.
Driving practices and sharing of learning across Science Units
Driving the strategy of Analytical Science and deployment through PT&D
Developing strategic internal and external collaborations as appropriate
Representing AZ on external science and regulatory bodies
Enhancing AZ external reputation externally through patents, publications, lectures and guiding.
Provision of experienced consultation of Analytical Science with other partner functions
Enhancing the capability of Chemical Development in development project delivery.
Proactively providing scientific contribution which impacts development projects across all clinical and commercial phases of development.
Represent Chemical Development on other AZ global analytical science networks outside PT&D as appropriate to define the scope of activities that has an impact on AZ drug portfolio
All these activities will have a significant impact on the speed, quality and cost of the AZ development and commercial portfolio. The role, therefore, has a significant impact on both financial and reputational aspects of the business.Profile:
- Will require BSc/PhD level education in a relevant Analytical science field. Will also require a significant number of years of experience working within a Research & Development or Manufacturing environment, within the pharmaceutical industry
- Will have broad analytical and project development knowledge
- Ability to develop a broad network across the PT&D organisation and wider operations/R&D.
- Will require significant experience of leading large-scale project/change work
- Requires a thorough understanding of the principles and management of SHE and cGMP
- Requires an extensive understanding of regulatory requirements, submissions and strategies across all clinical and commercial phases.
- Ability to think and operate across functional boundaries, challenge the status quo and seek opportunities for business improvement
- Ability to analyse and interpret sophisticated situations and provide clear strategic directions for others
- Excellent communication and strategic influencing skills across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise both internally and externally
- Excellent team working and networking skills and encourages team effectiveness.
- Strong leadership skills possibly leading large project teams
- Experience and skilled at facilitation at all levels
- Validated problem solver with in depth analytical skills
- Change management and project management skills
- Demonstrate a high degree of credibility and end to end supply chain thinking
Competitive Salary and benefit package
Apply now to learn more about this exciting opportunity with a world-renowned pharmaceutical brand!
The site provides a collaborative environment where everyone feels comfortable and able to be themselves which is at the core of AstraZeneca's priorities
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
Open date 18/02/2021
Close Date 04/03/2021