Tissue Imaging Scientist (Cell Therapy) - Imaging & AI
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Do you have expertise in tissue imaging and want to be a part of an Imaging & AI team who has direct impact on drug development? Join us at AstraZeneca in Cambridge UK, as our new Tissue Imaging Scientist (Cell Therapy) and play a vital role in discovering new medicines for our patients.
At AstraZeneca, we believe in the potential of our people and you will develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion, by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve no matter where you start with us. Working at AstraZeneca means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality!
Our Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS) function is changing the way imaging technologies are combined to offer unprecedented insight and impact. Our imaging hubs combine data from histology, digital pathology, multiplex assays, advanced molecular imaging techniques (including mass spectrometry imaging) and a full suite of in vivo imaging technologies.
As a Tissue Imaging Scientist (Cell Therapy), you will play a pivotal role in delivering high quality imaging data, employing core histology and advanced molecular techniques, involving immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence and in situ hybridisation method development and antibody characterisation to support projects. You will be involved in the delivery of the histology component of early investigative in vivo safety studies, working with local imaging hub lead, pathologists and study directors to deliver data to required quality standards and timelines. In addition, you will provide experienced application of imaging technologies to advise on efficacy of new therapies.The role
As a Tissue Imaging Scientist (Cell Therapy) you will;
- Lead design of tissue imaging endpoints, primarily with histological and molecular pathology based techniques and provide general and hypothesis-driven scientific advice on specific topics to the team
- Have a strong understanding of the practices, principles and concepts associated with a variety of study types using both histological/molecular pathology techniques and other tissue imaging technologies within the group
- Understand the CPSS Cell Therapy strategy and develop appropriate imaging methods to support the delivery of project goals. Work closely with the CPSS Cell Therapy Safety Lead and with individual project teams
- Analyse and report the data you produce, with little or no guidance, in a clear and concise manner, to colleagues and stakeholders
- Maintain a knowledge internally and externally of new trends in tissue imaging technology, experimental techniques/equipment and introduce new methods and instrumentation as required and agreed with the Imaging & AI Leadership Team
- Manage your work to ensure that agreed targets are met to agreed timelines and quality standards
- Contribute to the objectives of the department through active participation in department and cross-functional project teams/meetings, ensuring that work is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards.
- PhD or Graduate (cell biology, molecular biology, biotechnology etc.) with strong experience in relevant role
- Expert knowledge in at least one of the following: immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, in situ hybridisation
- Knowledge of histomorphology of mammalian tissue/tissues
- Independent experimental design, critical data analysis (including statistics) and reporting
- Comprehensive core knowledge of histology techniques
- Problem-solving skills related to molecular pathology data analysis
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work within a team environment - support for colleagues
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry or hospital molecular pathology laboratory
- Understanding of CAR-T therapy and application of tissue imaging endpoints in support of safety/efficacy assessment
- Practical knowledge of multiplex immunohistochemistry/immunofluorescence methodology
- Experience in image analysis using a commercial software solutions
- Understanding of other subject areas within pharmaceutical R&D
- Results driven, focus on timely delivery.
- Leadership skills within small teams and on individual projects
We welcome your application no later than, 5th March, 2021.
For more information about the position please contact Hiring Manager, Stewart Jones at email@example.com
Our Company Values & Behaviors underpin everything we do so please take a moment to familiarize yourself with them. You may also want to check out our new R&D Video showing how we turn Science into Medicines.More information about our sites: