In Vitro Cardiovascular Cell Biology Expert
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Are you an expert in cardiac stem cells and cardiomyocyte biology and function? Would you like to apply your expertise in a company that is accelerating innovative science and turn ideas into life changing medicines? Join us to discover future treatment of Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic diseases!
Working at AstraZeneca means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We are now recruiting an specialist within Cardiovascular Biology with deep knowledge in cardiovascular disease and expertise in in vitro/ex vivo assays to join the Bioscience Cardiovascular in vitro team within the Early Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM) therapeutic area. The position is placed at AstraZeneca's vibrant R&D site in Gothenburg, Sweden.
CVRM is one of three main therapeutic research areas within AstraZeneca. Early CVRM has a patient-centric approach for discovering novel treatments for patients with cardiovascular-, chronic kidney- and metabolic disease and delivers candidate drugs into late-stage clinical development. In the Bioscience Cardiovascular department, we focus on identifying and validating new drug targets for treatment of patients with cardiovascular disease and heart failure, as well as evaluating pharmacological aspects, e.g. efficacy and mechanism of action, of potential new drug candidates. The in vitro team delivers key data to projects across all phases of the drug discovery and development process and we work with different modalities such as small molecules, modified mRNA, antibodies, cell therapy, antisense oligonucleotides and peptides.
The position is at Associate Principal Scientist or Associate Director level depending on experience and you will be supported and encouraged to develop into more senior roles within the company.
What you'll do
In this role you will play a key role in driving Cardiovascular science and projects forward. You will have the opportunity to provide scientific leadership and proactively contribute to a vibrant and innovative working environment where improvements and new ideas are adopted and freely shared. As an expert in cardiomyocyte biology and/or cardiac stem cell therapies you will independently identify and explore novel drug targets and support existing projects with scientific input. Focus will be on induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) and primary cardiovascular cells along with molecular biology techniques and high content imaging. You will also be expected to explore novel techniques and ideas required for progressing existing portfolio and novel science. Collaboration is critical for successful delivery of drug projects and you will work closely with scientists/teams from a wide range of different functions within AstraZeneca as well as with external partners and collaborators. Responsibilities include:
- Take responsibility as bioscience lead in drug projects
- Independently design, develop and execute in vitro and ex vivo assays for projects from target identification to clinical stage
- Independently analyse and interpret generated data
- Maintain deep understanding of the science in heart failure and cardiovascular medicine area
- Communicate data to the project teams, department, science board and at external meetings
- Encourage, support, and directly contribute to communications of scientific findings through publications and presentations in world class scientific journals and meetings
- Work collaboratively within Bioscience and other functions throughout AstraZeneca to deliver on key project activities
- Prepare the preclinical pharmacology part of regulatory documents as appropriate
Essential for the role
- PhD and Postdoc experience in a relevant field
- Very strong experience with cardiomyocyte biology and function in healthy and diseased systems and/or cardiac stem cell therapies
- Strong scientific background and publication track record in any of the following fields: cardiac regenerative medicine, cardiac metabolism, cardiovascular disease, heart failure, cardiac stem cell biology or angiogenesis
- Experience in handling and manipulating relevant iPSC cells and primary human and animal cardiac cell types, including cardiomyocytes and/or cardiac progenitor cells
- Extensive experience in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry and relevant in vitro/ex vivo assays within the cardiovascular area
- A background in drug discovery and development in the pharmaceutical industry is desirable
- Entrepreneurial ways of working
- Good collaboration skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
So, what's next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
For more information about the position please contact Erik Ryberg at +46(0)317762801.
Please apply as soon as possible since we are continously screening candidates
Where can I find out more?
Our Gothenburg site: Link
Life in Gothenburg: Link
Culture and atmosphere of the Gothenburg site: Link
Our Gothenburg site is one of AstraZeneca's three strategic science centres. We thrive in a multinational environment working cross-functionally across the globe with AstraZeneca colleagues as well as academic and industry partners.