Senior Scientist - Epigenetics, Bioscience, Oncology
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines that make a positive impact on the lives of patients as well as their families and communities. At AstraZeneca Oncology, our vision is redefining cancer, our solutions to cancer and restoring patients' lives. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society.
We are recruiting for an exciting opportunity to join the Oncology Bioscience group in Cambridge as a laboratory based senior scientist. You will become part of a team of bioscientists and play a crucial part in the delivery of robust and high quality in vitro data to support Epigenetic drug discovery projects within the Oncology portfolio. Working collaboratively with subject areas across AstraZeneca you will have the opportunity to drive projects forward, identifying and validating novel targets, determining the mechanism of action of new chemical series and understanding drug resistance and novel combination opportunities for clinical candidates.
Ideally you should have a background in cancer epigenetics and have a passion for delivering data from the laboratory. You will use your judgement, ability to analyse data, lab experience and communication skills to provide key contributions to experimental design and interpretation for either early or late stage drug discovery programmes.
- Producing high quality in vitro data according to the study plan as agreed with the team leader or project supervisor
- Providing expert interpretation of the data, identifying innovative solutions to problems and putting forward plans for further experiments
- Communicating data and key findings in a clear and concise manner, demonstrating a good understanding of its implications within the overall context of drug discovery
- Maintaining an awareness of developments in the literature bringing forward new target ideas or new technologies / assay methods
- Actively driving personal development within the group and independently finding opportunities.
- Scientist with a PhD in Epigenetics, pharmacology or a related field or with 3 years of industrial laboratory experience.
- Evidence of a strong scientific track record and ability to lead from the bench in problem solving and the development of innovative solutions
- Strong scientific background within Epigenetics and the relevant in vitro assays required to validate a novel target and understand compound mechanism of action such as cell proliferation assays, western blotting and high content imaging.
- Strong communication and presentation skills including the ability to work collaboratively across multidisciplinary teams
- Expertise in one or more of the following:
- Analysis of epigenetic data including ATACseq and ChIPseq.
- Analysis of data including transcriptomics, single cell, Flow, CyTOF.
- An understanding of the drug discovery process.