Local Study Manager - Oncology
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
At AstraZeneca, we are guided in our work by a strong set of values, and we're resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. By truly following the science, we pioneer new methods, new thinking and bring unexpected teams together. From scientists to sales, lab techs to legal, we're on a mission to turn ideas into life-changing medicines that transform lives. We need phenomenal people who share our passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world. If you're swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you're our kind of person.
The role of Local Study Manager (LSM) is to lead Local Study Teams (LSTs) at country level to deliver committed components of clinical studies according to agreed resources, budget and timelines aligning with AZ Procedural Documents, international guidelines such as ICH-GCP as well as relevant local regulations.
In addition to leading LST(s), the Local Study Manager may perform site monitoring as needed to support the flexible capacity model.
LSM is responsible to ensure that sites are identified, site qualifications performed, set up, initiated, monitored, closed and documentation archived.
- Has the overall responsibility for the study commitments within the country and for timely delivery of data to required quality.
- Leads and optimises the performance of the Local Study Team(s) at country level ensuring compliance with AZ Procedural Documents, ICH-GCP and local regulations.
- Ensures, as required, that clinical and operational feasibility assessment of potential studies is performed to the highest quality.
- Coordinates the site selection process by identifying potential sites/investigators, performing initial Site Quality Risk Assessment and conducting Site Qualification Visits to evaluate suitability and quality risks.
- Ensures timely submission of application/documents to EC/IRB at start up and for the duration of the study. Works together with Regulatory Affairs to ensure timely delivery of application/documents for submissions to Regulatory Authority for the duration of the study, and in line with local regulations.
- Ensures timely preparation of country financial Study Management Agreement and maintains accurate study budget in AZ clinical studies financial system by regular checks of the system and financial reports.
- Ensures timely preparation of local Master CSA (including site budget) and amendments as needed.
- Ensures timely preparation of country level Master Informed Consent Form (MICF) and subsequent site level ICFs, as required, including any relevant translations, and in line with relevant AZ SOPs and local regulations.
- Ensures all country and site level trial crucial documents required by ICH-GCP prior to study start have been collected and verified for correctness, prior to setting sites ready to enrol, and in line with AZ SOPs.
- Plans and coordinates applicable local drug activities (from local purchase or reimbursement to drug destruction).
- Sets up and maintains the study in CTMS at study country level as well as local websites as required by local laws and regulations.
- Oversees, leads and coordinates monitoring activities from site activation through to study closure at country and site level in accordance with the Monitoring Plans.
- Reviews monitoring visit reports (as required and following AZ SOPs) and pro-actively advices the monitor(s) on study related matters.
- Performs any required co-monitoring, Accompanied Site Visits/training visits with study CRAs.
- Proactively identifies risks and facilitates resolution of complex study problems and issues.
- Reports study progress/update to the Global Study Leader/ Global Study Team including SMM Lead.
- Contributes to patient recruitment strategy including regular communication with participating Investigators as necessary.
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with National Coordinating Investigator / National Lead Investigator on recruitment and other study matters, if applicable.
- Plans and leads National Investigator meetings, in line with local codes, as required.
- Participates in training and coaching new members of the Local Study Team ensuring compliance with ICH-GCP and AZ Procedural Documents.
- Ensures completeness of the eTMF and ensures essential documents are uploaded in a timeline manner to maintain the eTMF "Inspection Ready".
- Ensures that all study documents are ready for final archiving and completion of local part of the eTMF.
- Plans and leads activities associated with audits and regulatory inspections in liaison with CQM and QA.
- Updates Line Managers (AD SMM/CH SMM) about the performance of the CRAs/CSAs.
- Provides feedback on any research related information including sites/investigators/competing studies that might be useful for the local market.
- Collaborates with local Medical Affairs team.
- Bachelors degree in related subject area, preferably in life science, or equivalent qualification
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Development Operations (CRA, Sr CRA) or other related fields (Medical Affairs-led or Academic-led studies).
- Good knowledge of international guidelines ICH-GCP as well as relevant local regulations.
- Proven track record to lead and empower cross-functional teams to deliver clinical trials according to or ahead of time plan, budget and with required quality.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent team building and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Good ability to learn and to adapt to work with IT systems.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required.