Oncology Medical Affairs Head
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
Oncology Medical Affairs Head
At AstraZeneca, we believe in the potential of our people, and we'll develop you beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve no matter where you start with us.
As Oncology Medical Affairs Head in the UK you will lead the Medical Affairs team for the UK Marketing Company, driving our agenda to shape the cancer care environment and transforming the patient experiences. You will report into Arun Krishna, Head of Oncology UK and will be responsible for defining objectives and priorities across all therapeutic areas in oncology.
We are committed to advancing the science of oncology to deliver life-changing medicines to patients most in need. With a combination-focused pipeline that exploits the power of four scientific platforms to help address unmet clinical needs in a host of cancers, we are motivated by a dedication to the scientific discovery and collaboration that will one day help eliminate cancer as a cause of death.
Our UK Marketing Company (UKMC) is responsible for the marketing of our medicines in the UK. Here you'll also find colleagues from AstraZeneca's corporate functions and our European and International regions' sales and marketing teams. As a member of the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI), all of our sales, marketing and communications activities are subject to the ABPI Code of Practice.
It has been agreed that the UKMC head office will move from Luton to Pancras Square, London in early 2022. This role will be initially based in our Luton office, until this move takes place!
Our move to Pancras Square offers us the strongest possible platform to transform the lives of patients in the UK, as the country's leading biopharmaceutical company. The move will bring the UK Marketing Company closer to customers, partners and stakeholders in the UK's healthcare environment, as well as foster greater collaboration with the wider AZUK footprint.
If you're passionate about the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do - join us!
Within the medical department and under the direction of the Head of Oncology UK, in accordance with the company's strategy, the rules of ethics and the procedures in force, the Oncology Medical Affairs Head has the responsibility to:
- Define, lead and prioritize the medical budget and the allocation of resources to ensure operational excellence
- Ensure scientific leadership, develop scientific and medical excellence, and build an image of AstraZeneca as a key player in oncology by developing innovative and differentiating partnerships with experts, learned societies, co-operative groups, institutions, etc
- With an entrepreneurial spirit, develop synergies within the team and with cross-functional teams: marketing, sales, market access, regulatory affairs, clinical research, pharmacovigilance, training...
- Build, coordinate and lead a medical oncology team of excellence to build and deliver the UK Medical Oncology Plan addressing; portfolio issues, development of skills, ensure talent management and manage team performance
Be a permanent and active member of the Senior Leadership Europe Medical Team by contributing to the development of the European medical strategy and European projects
Experience and Qualifications:-
- Basic training: Doctor, ideally oncologist.
- At least 10 years in Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry, preferably including more than 5 years in oncology;
- Significant leadership role(s) in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry with a proven track record for developing & executing innovative regional or country level medical affairs strategies w/clear accountability for the financial planning & budgeting process
- Experience in managing a high performing medical affairs team across multiple therapy areas with good examples of cross functional working, especially with market access.
- Clinical development experience; including working relationships with the MHRA and ABPI, preferably being a nominated signatory.
- Experience in embedding digital and innovative ways of working to enhance medical evidence, insights and impact.
- Ability to guide teams to contribute best value to the business
- Proven track record of building established external networks and relationships with Key Opinion Leaders/ KEEs
- Strong Clinical Knowledge combined with scientific acumen to craft innovative real world evidence strategies
- UK and European regulatory framework, including pharmaceutical codes.
- Market access experience in the UK, including understanding HTA bodies in the UK e.g. NICE, SMC.
- Ability to engage and manage multiple stakeholders (both internal and external)
- Ability to navigate in complex environments
- High level of resilience with the ability to deliver in a challenging external environment.
- Learning agility with high level of self-reflection ability to effectively build teams
- Results orientated with the ability to deliver through excellent cross functional collaboration
- High level of communication with the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders
Open Date: 15/02/2021
Close Date: 12/03/2021
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.