Associate Principal Scientist - ADC Mass Spectroscopy
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe!
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Associate Principal Scientist to join our Group within Integrated Bioanalysis which is part of the Clinical Pharmacology and Quantitative Pharmacology Group in Gaithersburg, MD.
As the Associate Principal Scientist in this position, you will take a lead role in the lab designing and interpreting mass spectrometry)-based approaches for advancing our drug pipeline and working as the group representative in multidiscipline drug development teams.
The Integrated Bioanalysis Department is responsible for providing high quality, decision driving data using a variety of platform technologies. Our team primarily focusses on pre-GLP bioanalyses along with exploratory biomarkers assessments all therapeutic areas. We have a diverse array of scientists working across many technologies to ensure delivery of critical assays, and data analysis that drive go/no go decisions and ensure the right combination of medicines get to the right patient, in the right dose, at the right time.
What you'll do
This position will lead mass spectrometry pharmacokinetics and proteomics biomarker activities in the laboratory and through outsourcing to better understand drug actions and their association with pharmacodynamics and clinical response.
- Your principle responsibility will be in the lab, designing, developing, and interpreting mass spectrometry assays to support drug program transition through lead candidate selection and into clinical trials.
- You will be expected to represent the department on multidiscipline drug development teams, thus ability to support other technologies in the lab, especially ligand binding and cell-based functional assays will be a benefit.
- You will report into a head of Discovery Bioanalysis US and supervise associate(s) and be expected to take a lead role in pushing the boundaries of what is possible for mass spectrometry based bioanalyses in determining lead drug candidates and facilitating global clinical trials.
Essential for the role:
- A highly motivated Ph.D. Scientist (5 or more years industry experience) coming from projects that required advanced mass spectrometry assay development and data interpretation skills.
- Experience designing, optimizing, and analyzing multiple reaction monitoring (MRM) based mass spectrometry assays for quantifications of ADC, payload, metabolites.
- Experience separating peptides and small molecules by microflow liquid chromatography.
- Experience with high-resolution mass spectrometry platforms such as the SCIEX QTRAP.
- A high level of independence and with an ability to develop hypotheses and execute analysis plans for pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and proteomics biomarker data.
- Attention to detail, good communication, and collaboration skills. Outstanding record keeping skills are critical for success.
- An ability to think and act creatively- independently, and within collaborations.
Desirable for the role
- A background in immunology, cancer biology or related field.
- Experience with in vitro assays to assess immunogenicity risk of biopharmaceuticals.
- Experience with advanced data analysis tools for analyzing and visualizing biomarker data (highly valued).
- Operational experience with broader immunoassays e.g. ELISA, multiplex assays, Elispots etc.
- Knowledge of GxP regulations.
This position is in Gaithersburg, MD
The AstraZeneca Gaithersburg campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This green, sustainable, modern, vibrant scientific campus is where we host some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces. Newly designed, state of the art research spaces and open seating floor plans are just a couple of ways we work cross functionally and collaboratively.
The Gaithersburg campus also provides an award winning café, free garage parking with electric car charging stations, bike racks, free fitness center to include classed and personal training game rooms, outdoor patio, bocce ball court, arcade games and game tables, recharge Pod's, library, walking trails, onsite dry cleaning pickup, haircutting service, health and wellness center, starbucks café, and much more!
AstraZeneca is a leading company in the healthcare industry, with a mission to enrich the lives of others. It's our business to support healthy living, not only for our patients, but also for our employees. Our benefits program is flexible enough to meet employees' varying needs, and offers valuable choices.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Apply today!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential.
Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what's next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team?
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en