Senior Scientist-Translational Pathology, Oncology (12 months)
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe!
We currently have a 12 month fixed-term contract opportunity for a Senior Scientist to join the Translational Pathology group within the Oncology R&D Translational Medicine department, where you will be at the forefront of the evolution of translational science for the global oncology group in AstraZeneca. You will have the opportunity to impact an industry-leading portfolio of programs from early clinical development of novel therapeutics through to post-marketing opportunities that support approved targeted therapies!
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
In this role you will need to use the best available science and technology to develop new assays to measure biomarkers in clinical tissues. Using these assays you will generate disease linkage data to guide indication selection and targeted patient populations, as well as measuring drug target engagement. This work will inform clinical decisions for selecting therapeutically relevant doses and schedules, as well as building our understanding of key cancer pathway interactions to guide rational drug combinations. Additionally your work will help define novel mechanisms of resistance to targeted therapies by studying tumours at relapse.
Skills and experience:
- PhD with exposure in a relevant field.
- Knowledge in one or more AZ portfolio areas: tumour drivers and resistance, DNA damage response (DDR), immuno-oncology (IO) and antibody drug conjugates (ADC).
- Skilled in development and validation of biomarker assays.
- Experience in manual or automated immunohistochemistry (brightfield or fluorescence).
- Experience in microscopy and carrying out digital image analysis.
- Ability to lead from the bench in problem solving and the development of innovative solutions.
- Peer-reviewed publications in the field of translational pathology or cancer biology.
Desirable/Advantageous - Although training will be given, experience in the following areas would provide a distinct advantage
- Expertise in one or more AZ portfolio areas, including related biology and knowledge of translational approaches to developing therapeutics for cancer.
- Experience working with human tissues and tissue-based histopathology methods.
- Experience of conducting studies for Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- Skills in developing multiplexed immunohistochemistry or in situ hybridization (ISH) assays.
- Career exposure to the pharmaceutical industry and the drug development process.
Next steps - Apply Today!!