Sr Director, Business Development
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Company Background & Culture
United BioSource Corporation (UBC) was founded in 2003 by industry experts with a passion for innovation and a commitment to working with pharmaceutical and biotech organizations in proving the safety, efficacy, and value of pharmaceutical and medical products. The company recognized the opportunity to build an organization tailored to meet the need for scientific evidence in the healthcare industry.
UBC quickly developed a core strength – the generation, analysis and communication of real-world evidence throughout the product lifecycle. By combining insight from data, understanding patient behavior and the science behind clinical specialties, UBC helps clients make informed decisions and optimize the care given to patients.
UBC supports our clients in many ways. Key to our differentiation, for how we sell and drive our growth are:
- Leading epidemiologists and scientific experts with deep scientific and analytic expertise to inform program design and strategy
- A patient-first approach to ensuring the safe & appropriate use of medications that our clients are exploring clinically and supporting them through product launch and ongoing assessment
- Ensuring an optimized clinical & commercial position through integrated real-world technology solutions that accelerate evidence generation and inform critical insights to shorten the drug development lifecycle, optimize market access and drive value
- Comprehensive solutions to collect critical evidence beyond the walls of the traditional study setting – remotely or in the patient’s home
- An established, global home nurse network which has already mitigated client concerns that the pandemic will interrupt patient care and jeopardize study progress
- With more than 15 years in evidence generation, UBC is poised to address the challenges of this emerging landscape and accelerate the time to generate meaningful and clinically rich evidence through:
- Leading real-world evidence consulting practice
- Purpose-built real-world evidence technologies
- Access to fit-for-purpose real world data
- Developing creative strategies to link patients from one or more registries to other medical and laboratory data, enabling sponsors to gain a more complete view of the patient’s diagnostic odyssey, clinical interactions and prescription medication history, delivering more of a holistic picture of that patient, beyond the protocol itself
United BioSource Corporation (UBC) is a leading provider of pharmaceutical support services, partnering with life science companies to demonstrate value, ensure safe use and accelerate patient access to innovative medical products. UBC services range from supporting the largest brands in the industry, to providing fully outsourced functional services, to the most recently approved genetic therapies in orphan populations. The work we do positively impacts patients’ lives all over the world.
To support this growth, we are expanding the Sales Organization, to grow the team focused on the following core solutions within UBC:
Real World Evidence & Value
- Epidemiology, Observational Research, Registries, Pragmatic studies, Chart reviews & Surveys, Patient Reported Outcomes, Real World Data
Late Stage Development
- Phase II-III, Phase IIIb, Phase IV
Trial Optimization & Recruitment
- Pt. Recruitment, Physician Recruitment, Study kit materials, and Agency support
- Consulting & Advisory, Risk Evaluation & Mitigation Strategies, European Risk Management Planning
Pharmacovigilance & Signaling
- Case processing, Literature Review, QPPV & Advisory, Safety Analytics & Reporting, Signal detection & refinement
- Electronic Data Capture, Real World Infrastructure, Identity Management & Data Governance
We are excited to announce that we are currently looking for multiple levels of, Director/Sr. Director, Business Development to join our team, specifically in the late stage services lines of business.
Senior Director, Business Development is a key member of the Senior Late Stage and Corporate BD management team, reporting to the SVP of Business Development.
This individual will be responsible for:
- Developing long-range strategic plans with an emphasis on creating and sustaining business growth in assigned territory
- Directing business development activities to achieve sales and new business goals from identification through contract award- including proposal management process
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with senior levels within customer organizations and within UBC
The ideal candidate will possess at least ten years selling services to the Pharmaceutical industry.
Identify new sales opportunities for Clinical, Late Stage and Pharmacovigilance service lines within UBC through active prospecting, networking and leading specific marketing campaigns against target clients
Manage a territory of key accounts assigned to you
Attend trade shows, as needed, to drive client activity and marketing opportunities
Oversee new and existing client opportunities
Maintain and expand the opportunity pipeline to achieve growth objectives
Manage expectations of client requests and UBC deliverables
Provide strategic insight and create tactical plans for new business opportunities
Submit and manage distribution of new business opportunities through pre-defined business development and proposal processes
Engage in, support, and create presentations for the Bid Defense development process
Manage multiple deliverables at various stages of the selling process.
Work with the UBC Sales Management on brand-building, product development, and commercial plans
Monitor market developments/trends
Initiate, recommend, and implement measures to enhance the business development & acquisition process as a whole
Other duties as required by management
UBC is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. Applicants must be able to pass a drug test and background investigation.
Qualifications & Experience
- University degree in a related field, MBA, or other business/management training
- 8-10 years prior late stage or related clinical/safety experience
- Established business relationships, where credible sales performance can be leveraged by UBC to drive deep access to strategic and newer assigned accounts
- Demonstrated performance in large/medium/small accounts, equally
- Strong understanding of clinical and late stage development environment:
- Understanding of key tenants of drug development and periapproval services, including Phase II, III, IIIb, IV and various program types in the development and late stage environment
- Understanding of how the more recent focus on real-world data, and, how that drives a client’s evidence development approach – to enable the sales leader to adequately anticipate and position key UBC services
- Strong knowledge of key functions involved in the sales positioning, proposal positioning, and strategy associated with being responsible for selling full-service and functional services across clinical, peri- & post approval services
- Above average understanding of risk management, EU risk management and REMS. As we see more and more products, especially those that are specialty, high-touch, rare-disease, potentially seeking accelerated approval – not only do we see more demand for ongoing post-authorization safety requirements, we will see more and more REMS and risk management initiatives. Sales leader must understand how to seek out, and position for – these needs
- Strong understanding of the budgets and labor that are assembled to support the pricing and positioning of UBC services. UBC has a centralized proposals, pricing, and contracts function. This function performs better when the sales leader is an active contributor to the process, has a clear point of view of the selling needs for the program, their client and the market they are competing within. Being a contributor to the Executive Summary, positioning of the strategy and pricing is a key part of driving a successful win rate and sales conversion
- Product Knowledge: Must know what the following services are, basic tenants of the project type, how and why they are run by pharma, and, how to differentiate: (Phase II, III, IIIb, IV, Registry, Chart Review, Expanded Access Program, Named Patient Program, Pragmatic Studies, Hybrid Studies, Retrospective Chart Reviews, Database Epidemiology, Safety Case Processing, Safety Literature Review, Benefit-Risk Assessments, REMS, Knowledge Attitude and Behavior Surveys, Patient Recruitment, Physician Recruitment, and more
- Strong Communication Skills: Ability to influence internal and external stakeholders
- Teamwork: Ability to lead through sales process, pricing, staffing, technology discussions and more to drive a successful document and sales positioning
- Time Management: Proven ability to manage projects against deadlines.
- Business Acumen: Experience developing relationships and industry networking
- Problem Solving Skills: Ability to use proper judgment to plan and accomplish goals with limited supervision
Personal Traits & Competencies
The ideal candidate will be a:
- Motivated self-starter with a proven ability to work successfully in a remote environment
- Strong intellectual curiosity and continuous learner within this dynamic and ever-changing industry environment
- Strategic thinker with “rain-making abilities”
- Solution oriented mindset and consultative style
- Unquestionable personal and professional integrity
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work simultaneously on multiple priorities
- Adaptability and flexibility to changing priorities
- An energetic leader who enjoys building businesses
United BioSource Corporation (UBC) is a leading provider of pharmaceutical support services, partnering with life science companies to make medicine and medical products safer and more accessible. Our services support the full lifecycle of medicine and medical products, including development, commercialization, and long-term value and safety.
While UBC offers employment within Patient Support, Nursing, Pharmacy and Corporate, two main focus areas for the company are Clinical Development & Research and Safety & Risk Management. Members of the Clinical Development and Research teams help evaluate study protocol, target study population, recruit physicians and patients, and collect, clean, validate and report data. As a result, sponsors are able to submit findings to regulatory authorities or make a no-go decision in a timely and clear-cut manner. Additionally, our Safety and Risk Management teams develop, deliver, and report evidence to reinforce safe and appropriate product use.
Through our Patient Access services, we help patients begin therapy quickly and remain on therapy, building strong relationships with patients to ensure optimal care.
You can find out more by visiting