Group Director Early Clinical Program Development
- Experience Level
Are you passionate about science and have an extensive knowledge within clinical drug development? Are you also an experienced Leader that wants to combine your leadership skills with your strategical understanding of designing clinical programs? At AstraZeneca, we work at the cutting edge of science to develop the ground-breaking medicines of the future - here we do things that have never been done before. Does this match your skills and ambitions? Then join us to discover future treatments of Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic diseases!
We are now offering exciting opportunities for talented and highly motivated individuals to join us in the role as Group Director within Early Clinical Program Development CVRM. In this role, you will be working in a global, diverse and cross-functional environment where you will coach and mentor a fantastic team of skilled Clinical Program Directors and also be responsible for the overall delivery of our clinical programs within Early CVRM. We have two openings as Group Directors and these roles can be based at AstraZeneca's dynamic R&D sites in Gothenburg (Sweden), Cambridge (UK) or Gaithersburg (USA).
What you'll do
The role as Group Director Early Clinical Program Development (ECPD) is a mixed role between being a Group Director and being a Clinical Program Director. The mixture is 50/50. You will be a member of the Leadership Team and report directly to the Head of Early Clinical Development.
As a Group Director, you are responsible for mentoring and line managing Clinical Program Directors/Associate Clinical Program Directors (CPDs/ACPDs) which include performance management and professional development activities. Approximately 6-8 ACPDs/CPDs will report directly to you. In this role you will ensure that our core values and clinical development strategies are implemented within the Early Clinical Program Development team.
In the role as Clinical Program Director (CPD) in Early CVRM programs, you will be accountable for the overall delivery of the clinical program to time, cost and quality and be the leader of the Clinical Program Team (CPT). You will work closely with the core CPT members to ensure that the clinical strategy and deliverables for the clinical program are delivered to the Early Global Product Team (eGPT). The role provides strategic oversight and feasibility input into the design of the clinical program and plays a key role in the work required to determine possible program design options. Your focus is across the program level, collaborating with the Development Operations (Dev Ops) organisation, Clinical Project Team (CPT) members, eGPT colleagues and all other functions that are key to the development of a compound.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In the role as the Group Director, you are responsible for:
- Achieving and maintaining leadership in clinical development strategy and operational excellence via contribution from ACPDs/CPDs
- Working in close partnership with the your counterpart within ECD to develop the CPD function and ensure a unified way of working cross teams
- Securing adequate support from the team to Early CVRM clinical programs across CVRM disease areas and our three hubs
- Managing the performance of individuals effectively and identifies development opportunities for team members
- Keeping track of ongoing and planned studies/clinical activities in Early CVRM to support the Head of Clinical innovation and Business planning in ECD to facilitate capacity planning and resourcing
- Contributing to a seamless and well-functioning collaborations with ECD boundary functions and building external network and collaborations
In the role as the Clinical Program Director, you are responsible for:
- Leading the translation of science into crisp and robust clinical development plans including operational design strategy and models
- Leadership of the Early Clinical Program Development Team (ECPDT) and its oversight of clinical program strategy activities
- Ensuring the development of the clinical program strategy and the implementation of innovative approaches to delivery with Development Operations
- Providing strategic and operational input on clinical content to cross-functional program development plans
- Providing and ensuring expert clinical input into clinical documents
- Initial feasibility assessment and early country and site engagement to assist with formulating budget forecast and trial timelines
- Ensuring timely selection of an appropriate delivery model incl. selection of external providers
- Developing/managing of contingency risk plans within each assigned clinical program to ensure operational delivery
- Proving budget forecasting and maintenance/monitoring to baseline,clinical program resourcing, scenario planning, plus overall timelines for trials
If you are interested, read more about the position and apply at:
So, what's next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining us? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you! Welcome with your application no later than February 28th, 2021.