Medical Scientist, Hematology Clinical Development
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
At AstraZeneca, we are committed to advancing the science of oncology to deliver life-changing medicines to patients most in need. With a combination-focused pipeline that exploits the power of six scientific platforms (Immuno-Oncology, Tumor Drivers and Resistance, DNA Damage Response, Antibody-drug Conjugates, Cell Therapy and Epigenetics) to help address unmet clinical needs in a host of cancers, we are motivated by a dedication to the scientific discovery and collaboration that will one day help eliminate cancer as a cause of death. We currently have nearly 100 Phase 1, 2, 3 and Lifecycle Management Oncology projects in our robust pipeline. We deliver the Research & Development for Oncology through our Oncology R&D Unit. This unit has responsibility for the value chain from discovery through to late-stage development, enabling rapid acceleration of promising early-stage assets and life-cycle management programs.
Early Stage Hematology is the science engine room for our development. Our strategy and ability to transform our portfolio means we have an early stage pipeline that presents incredible opportunities to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. We transform clinical concepts into medicines that deliver patient health benefits.
In Early Stage Hematology development, we have a crucial role to play. Faced with complex disease challenges, we're focused on exceptional performance to transform innovative molecules into medicines that change lives. We are responsible for enabling the business to make critical pipeline and investment decisions, to ensure they select the right molecules to progress and to seize the right lifecycle management opportunities - generating the data required to drive regulatory submissions for new medicines and expanded indications and generating the evidence that shows their true value.
This is an exciting period for us, as well as for those poised to join us. We are looking for established scientists who wish to broaden their roles. As a Medical Scientist you will have a role in developing new registration-focused trials in hematology. You will be working independently with guidance in only the most complex situations and be a close partner to the physician on the team. This opportunity is available at our Gaithersburg, MD campus, or in Waltham, South San Francisco, or in Cambridge, UK.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- You will have key relationships internally with clinical project teams, and externally with regulatory bodies and external service providers.
- You will ensure there is adequate input into the drug development process from experts in each of the various areas of drug development, or provide input into one or more of these areas as a technical expert.
- You will develop and design studies to determine the scientific and clinical viability of a particular drug or portfolio of drugs and interpret the results of these studies, either as the head of a team, or by providing expert input.
- You will participate in protocol design, writing and Implementation to meet GCP, ICH and all AstraZeneca quality standards.
- You will manage cross functional projects to ensure the successful passage of drugs through all phases of the drug development process, or contribute to one or more elements of such a project as a technical expert.
- You will review and interpret medical data and clinical trial data and come up with conclusions
- You will also have responsibility for delivery of pieces of the trials and may lead submissions from a process standpoint.
PhD or Pharm D is strongly preferred, candidates with a BsC and with significant relevant drug development experience will be considered
- Experience working on clinical trials in Hematology or Oncology clinical trials experience required. Hematology strongly preferred.
- Experience managing and interpreting the results of clinical trials as well as exposure to writing protocols preferred
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience of authoring scientific documents preferred.
- Well-developed communication skills
- Sufficient technical and disease area knowledge to be able to interact with confidence with internal and external partner