Head of Cell Therapy Bioprocess Development and Manufacturing
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
Are you an expert in stem cell production and bioprocessing? Would you like to combine your scientific drive with your strategic and tactical leadership skills? Join us and be a key player in the build of our new Biopharmaceuticals R&D Cell Therapy department. Together we will push the boundaries of Science!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means accelerating innovative science, being entrepreneurial, and working together to make the impossible a reality.
Biopharmaceuticals R&D is now building a cell therapy department with the goal to establish AstraZeneca as a world-leader in the stem cell field and to build a competitive pipeline within cell therapy across disease areas within Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM) and Respiratory and Inflammation (R&I). The cell therapy department will bring together >50 specialists to support the organisation with cell therapy expertise and capabilities. The new department will be an agile "biotech-like" organisation, with specialists in the department working closely with experts across AstraZeneca to leverage the existing and emerging platforms in stem cell technologies, new modalities, universal cell lines, and CRISPR-mediated genome editing.
The role is placed at AstraZeneca's dynamic R&D site in Gothenburg, Sweden, and reports to the Head of Biopharmaceutical R&D Cell Therapy.
What you'll do
In this role you will be responsible for the pre-clinical cell production and early bioprocessing development of cell based therapies of the Biopharmaceutical R&D Cell Therapy Department. With your broad comprehensive understanding of the Cell Therapy area, you will contribute significantly to the business development and strategy and thus have strong impact on the shape of AstraZeneca R&D. As a key member of the Cell Therapy Department Leadership Team you will drive and deliver the overall strategic and tactical leadership of the Production and Bioprocessing Cell Therapy Unit. Accountabilities include:
- Globally manage and lead the Production and Bioprocessing Cell Therapy function for the Cell Therapy Department
- Secure delivery of a portfolio of products by providing direction to the reporting teams, the department leadership team, senior leaders, and other key stakeholders
- Provide strategic input into Biopharmaceutical R&D Cell Therapy strategy and ensure strong alignment and engagement between the Production and Bioprocessing Cell Therapy team, leadership team, and sister departments
- Provide scientific leadership of development of bioprocess and analytical platforms for cell therapies
- Recruit, retain, and develop leading engineers and scientists to build a world class team with cell therapy experience
- Lead and support continuous development of cell therapy technologies within AstraZeneca that will allow us to accelerate our ambition and establish AstraZeneca in the field
- Identify and develop external partnerships with industrial and academic partners as well as leaders in the cell therapy field
- Lead, influence, and interact with key academic and industrial partners in support of the development and commercialization of cell therapies
Essential for the role
This role requires solid expertise in Cell Therapy manufacturing and bioprocessing combined with strong leadership within Cell Therapy or Biopharmaceutical development and strategies.
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, M.Sc in Engineering or equivalent
- Line management experience and ability to develop high performing teams
- Expertise in Cell Therapy Bioprocessing, including analytical development, with significant interactions with industrial and academic partners
- External reputation within Cell Therapy or Biopharmaceutical industry and strong connections with internal and external cell therapy leaders
- Strong track record of working cross functionally across organizational boundaries
- Knowledge of R&D for Drugs or Cell Therapies to ensure successful delivery of Cell Therapy ideas through to patients
The right candidate for this position is passionate for the subject with strong visionary and strategic skills together with an entrepreneurial working style. You have excellent problem-solving skills and a drive to succeed. Ability to communicate and influence both internal and external stakeholders is essential for this role.
So, what's next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Excellent! We have one seat available and we hope it's yours.
For more information about the position please contact Head of Department Johan Hyllner, johan.hyllner(at)astrazeneca.com.
Welcome with your application, no later than March 7, 2021.
Where can I find out more?
Our Gothenburg site: Link
Life in Gothenburg: Link
Culture and atmosphere of the Gothenburg site: Link
Our Gothenburg site is one of AstraZeneca's three strategic science centres. We thrive in a multinational environment working cross-functionally across the globe with AstraZeneca colleagues as well as academic and industry partners. Our way of life is to foster a working environment that nurtures collaboration, openness and innovation.