Head of Business Development (Medical Communications)
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
IQVIA™ is the leading human data science company focused on helping healthcare clients find unparalleled insights and better solutions for patients. Formed through the merger of IMS Health and Quintiles, IQVIA offers a broad range of solutions that harness the power of healthcare data, domain expertise, transformative technology, and advanced analytics to drive healthcare forward.
IQVIA’s Medical and Patient Communications team, a full service Communications agency offering end to end Medical Communications solutions across the product lifecycle, are looking for an experienced Business Development Director.
This newly created role will build out, and generate success from, a specialist Medical Communications Business Development team. Reporting directly into the Senior Director, Medical and Patient Communications, the successful candidate will take accountability for the development and execution of a strategy for growth to expand our footprint with new client companies, and for liaising with our Account Management team to formalise organic growth efforts. You will also work closely with the wider IQVIA business development community to identify and convert joint opportunities.
A Medical Communications subject matter expert in your own right, you will have proven specialist business development expertise from an agency background to bring to the role.
- Leadership of Business Development team: Serve as overall sales management leader, relationship manager and strategic business partner responsible for leading a sales team toward developing and expanding new business opportunities within their customer accounts.
- Establish effective Business Development ways of working: Ensure Business Development SOPs provide clear, structured processes to meet business needs; Promotes SOP awareness and process compliance.
- Own MPC Business Development strategy: Take accountability for the definition, socialization and execution of Business Development strategy and associated financial targets for Medical and Patient Communications.
- Expand Medical and Patient Communications business with new client companies: Accountable for building opportunities with new client companies at a global, regional and national level, across existing service areas and new areas of focus from 2021.
- Work closely with existing and new client team and procurement contacts to generate pipeline of opportunities
- Lead proactive approaches including teaser campaigns, workshops and meetings, working with Operations team to secure SME support as required
- Formalise and ensure execution of organic growth plans: Work with experienced senior Account Management team members to formalise account planning process and maximise opportunities for organic growth.
- Continuously monitor status of Customer Account Plans and business targets to ensure a pipeline of opportunities is maintained.
- Link Medical and Patient Communications Account Plans into wider IQVIA Account Planning process and ensure milestones achieved
- Represent Medical and Patient Communications strategies and services amongst the wider IQVIA Business Development community: Navigate, and build partnerships with IQVIA’s extensive Business Development community, identifying opportunities for collaboration and actively participating in triage and management of opportunities to drive our pipeline
- Lead new proposals and bids: Lead proposal development for identified new opportunities, working closely with relevant SMEs and finance team; lead bid defences as appropriate
- Achieve target hit rate: Work with management team to identify any barriers to successful lead generation / conversion and address
- Take accountability for MPC customer contracts and MSAs: Review regularly, lead negotiations / renegotiations and support contracting process for business wins
- Consult on solution development requirements: Provide voice of customer to review and refine Medical and Patient Communications services, solutions and collateral
- Maintain strong visibility in the Industry to drive opportunities: Actively network in the industry to establish relationships and to identify potential opportunities
- Enable cross selling: By maintaining in-depth knowledge of all Medical and Patient Communications and relevant IQVIA services for appropriate cross-sell opportunities.
- Work with Account Leaders to research and identify target markets, build relationships, perform in-depth presentations, strategic analysis, and execution of implemented plans for IQVIA service lines.
- Line management responsibility: Manage staff in accordance with IQVIA’s policies and processes within the team geographies. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance and guiding professional development; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing employee relations issues and resolving problems. Approve actions on human resources matters, including annual leave, pay reviews and associated people actions.
- Proven business growth experience in a Medical Communications setting
- Extensive relevant industry experience (Medical/Scientific Communications), and solid understanding of Medical Communications strategies enabling quality strategic leadership of proposals
- Proven management experience and responsibility
- Proven track record at mid-level and high-level contacts
- Excellent Business/Industry awareness and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral (including presentations)
- Ability to identify and develop sales leads
- Ability to influence others both internally and externally
- Adaptability and flexibility to changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and ability to work simultaneously on multiple priorities
- Ability to maintain demanding timelines
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Excellent skills using Microsoft Office Suite: MS PowerPoint, MS Word, and MS Excel
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, managers and clients
At IQVIA, we believe in pushing the boundaries of human science and data science to make the biggest impact possible – to help our customers create a healthier world. The advanced analytics, technology solutions and contract research services we provide to the life sciences industry are made possible by our 67,000+ employees around the world who apply their insight, curiosity and intellectual courage every step of the way. Learn more at jobs.iqvia.com.