Senior Scientist, Upstream (12 month Maternity Cover)
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
Our employees are able to develop their careers in exciting new medical technologies, and so can you.
Oxford Biomedica’s Process R&D team consists of experienced scientists and engineers that have extensive expertise in all aspects of upstream and downstream development. PR&D take processes from the laboratory “bench” scale and apply process expertise and engineering fundamentals for delivery to Manufacturing.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Scientist, Upstream to join the team for a 12 month maternity cover. The purpose of this role is to plan, execute and report relevant upstream studies or investigations and to support and supervise other members of the Group as needed to aid the Group Lead in meeting Group/Department objectives.
Your responsibilities in this role would be:
- Involvement in activities ranging from vector production at laboratory and pilot scales, process development and optimisation, technology transfer, and process validation activities associated with the manufacture of new gene therapy vectors.
- Develop and optimise upstream processes for producing lentiviral vectors, working within the Process R&D group.
- Responsible for designing and co-ordinating execution of cell culture activities for scale-up/scale-down of existing bioprocesses.
- Lead the design and execution of experiments/process characterisation/investigations in accordance with correct methodologies and procedures.
- Responsible for planning and execution of deliverables associated with one or more projects.
- Analyse and interpret experimental data and report to stakeholders within OXB and externally to clients.
- Write, revise, review and approve SOPs, technical reports, and risk assessments, where appropriate.
- Ensure that the experiments conducted within the team/project, and their interpretation and reporting, are of the highest quality.
- Provide direction for a small team and/or projects in line with company objectives.
- Ensure that all work carried-out in the laboratory is performed efficiently and safely, following OXB HSE procedures.
- Carry out such other tasks as are required from time to time for the efficient running of the Company’s business upon request from your line manager or a Director of the Company.
- Deputise for the Team Lead when required.
To be successful in this role, you will have the following skills and experience:
- BSc, MSc or PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant Bioscience with an appropriate level of relevant experience.
- Relevant laboratory experience in one or more of the following areas: upstream process development, tissue culture, Molecular Biology, use of stirred tank bioreactors.
- Advanced understanding of cell culture principles and processes.
- An understanding of metabolite analysis in the context of mammalian cell culture and media development
- Pharmaceutical industry experience in biological research and development or equivalent experience gained elsewhere
- Demonstrated experience with suspension cell culture.
- Experience with the operation of laboratory, pilot or production scale cell culture bioreactors.
- Excellent aseptic technique.
- Practical understanding of how own area of operation relates to the overall business of OXB.
- Understanding of laboratory health and safety requirements.
- Competency in data capture, reporting and management systems.
- Capable of explaining clearly why an experiment is being conducted and how the experiments help the group meet their objectives.
- Knowledge of the overall research programme in your group.
- Awareness of regulatory requirements e.g. GMP, GLP, GCP and/or Validation and Quality Management systems.
- Familiar with data analysis software packages such as but not limited to Microsoft Excel, JMP, Design Expert™, Graphpad Prism
- High level of familiarity with the current literature relating to research projects.
Do you want to feel inspired every day? We’re future-focused and our business is growing rapidly. We succeed together through passion, commitment and team work, and so can you.
Collaborate. Contribute. Change lives.
No agencies please