On behalf of our client, the scientific department of an agri-food client, we are currently recruiting for a Horticulture Programme Manager.
The Horticulture Programme Manager is a key role in the management of a number of research projects. Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, the Horticulture Programme Manager will be essential in driving forward the development of microbial solutions for the horticulture applications.
The Horticulture Programme Manager will be responsible for the successful management and execution of all Microbiology innovation programesvincluding the management of project rollout into the full commercial environment. The programme manager must be highly customer centric and must lead by example.
The programme manager must be focussed on the end goal and see innovation as a toolset to achieve macro objectives. This may require entrepreneurial flair at times to achieve the unimaginable and the candidate must be a very strong communicator.
As nature never stops flexibility will be an important feature of this role.
The deliverables of the Horticulture Programme Manager role include:
• Coordinate and evaluate the performance of all microbiology and horticulture projects and ensure alignment with end goals agreed with the customer
• Formulate new projects to support the achievement of new innovation targets agreed with the customer;
• Drive an innovation mindset through the team;
• Development of a consistent project management method for application to all programs;
• Develop proposals for funding from national and international state agencies to ensure funding is in place for 100% of micro programs;
• The development and management of budgets;
• Management and development of a diverse team of scientists and horticulturalists;
• Risk assessment and change management to ensure programme delivery;
• Effective communications with all programme stakeholders;
• Development of new products and processes for the horticulture industry.
Skills and Competencies
• Communication: Must have excellent interpersonal and presentation skills both up the line and down the line;
• Team Management and Development: Comfortable in providing coaching to project team members and leading a team whose background is primarily science based;
• Innovative thinker: Ability to think laterally to achieve the unimaginable;
• Remain on the pulse of science
• Can do attitude: Must have a ‘can do’ entrepreneurial attitude with a focus on ‘doing the right stuff’ and ‘getting stuff done’!
• Growth: A thirst to learn, grow and keep in touch with innovation within the wider industry;
• Organisation: Highly efficient administration, detail focussed and exacting on time.
• Research standards: conduct research according to the general principles of good research based on honesty, cooperation and responsibility on accurate data acquisition and storage and managing appropriately any conflicts of interest.
Experience and Qualifications
• Possess a Ph.D qualification in Environmental Microbiology or Microbial Ecology.
• Project Management qualification would be preferable.
• 7+ years of industrial experience.
• Proven experience in programme management.
• Proven experience in team management.
• Proven experience in stakeholder management.
• Proven record of good understanding/experience of horticulture.
• Possess excellent computer skills including databases, excel, word and statistical packages.
• Possess excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), excellent interpersonal and presentation skills as well as being team focused.
• Proven record of attention to detail and work with a sense of urgency yet have the ability to be impartial and objective.
Other Significant Role Requirements
• The Horticulture Programme Manager will motivate, collaborate, drive innovation and ultimately the achievement of goals.
• The Horticulture Programme Manager must be flexible in terms of working hours to ensure deliverables are achieved on time.
• It is required to that the Horticulture Programme Manager holds a driving license to travel in order to achieve deliverables.
• The suitable applicant must be enthusiastic and bring an energy to the wider team.
• Must lead by example and be flexible regarding assigned tasks.
For a full Job Spec and to apply for this role please call Linda on +353 1 2784671 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Thornshaw Scientific Recruitment is a leading Irish provider of specialist Scientific Recruitment. Part of the CPL Group. Tel: +353 1 2784671