Medical Science Liaison ( nephrology , diabetoogy)
( southern part of Poland: Territory wil include lubuskie, dolnośląskie, opolskie, śląskie, małopolskie, podkarpackie, lubelskie, świętokrzyskie voivodeships)
Job Description / Capsule
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-based medical affairs professional with scientific and therapeutic-area (TA) expertise. The MSL is responsible for providing medical and scientific support regarding AstraZeneca's (AZ's) marketed products and compounds in development to a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the organization.
MSL reports into the Medical or Scientific Affairs Department. For details, please refer to the region/country/area specific organization chart. MSL must not have commercial objectives or measures. However, MSLs and their management may communicate strategic objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to commercial stakeholders to ensure alignment.
MSLs engage in in-depth medical and scientific product or disease area discussions, and presentations in a non-promotional scientific context. Engagement should be in-depth, two-way, insight gathering and may be on and off-label (reactive).
Additionally MSL responds to customer inquiries to ensure focused and balanced clinical and scientific information that supports the appropriate use of AstraZeneca's products and services in a patient focused manner; maintains expertise in disease state management, emerging therapies and the competitive landscape; gathers customer insights regarding AstraZeneca and competitor products to help inform medical and commercial strategies and adhere to internal standard processes and comply with regulatory and compliance requirements.
These activities, the circumstances in which they are conducted and the way to perform them in a fully compliant way are described in further detail in the Global MSL Guide.
Medical and Scientific support for External Stakeholders
- Engage Key External Experts (KEEs), Health Care Practitioners (HCPs) and other external stakeholders by proactively providing on-label scientific updates and information on AZ disease areas and marketed products as part of non-promotional scientific exchange.
- Respond to unsolicited requests for information about unapproved AZ products or unapproved uses of approved products. Presenting such information in an objective, scientifically balanced and substantiated manner.
- Provide scientific support in educational events and through appropriate medical sponsorships
- Develop and implement a KEE engagement plan in collaboration with MSL Manager (MSLM) and TA medical affairs lead. Include in the plan details around contact with KEE including the pre call plan with clear objectives for the interaction, key points for discussion, and details on the medical or scientific data to be shared and discussed.
- Organizing and leading scientific exchange meetings or regional advisory boards.
- Participating as scientific speakers at external meetings consistent with the Global MSL Standard (August 2017)
- Proactively identify KEEs with high levels of scientific expertise in local treatment practice to collaborate on activities consistent with the local Field Medical Strategic Plan.
- Build AZ relationship with key external stakeholders (e.g. patient advocacy groups, key medical organisations, hospital pharmacy) consistent with Medical Affairs' objectives. Find opportunities to collaborate with such external stakeholders.
- Monitor database (Veeva) of KEEs and provide recommendations for advisory board members
- Identify pre-clinical, clinical and post-marketing study investigators in alignment with Medical Affairs' objectives.
- Provide information to investigator/potential investigators on the existence of Externally Sponsored Research (ESR) and Open Innovation (OI) programs.
- Work with KEEs, HCPs in scientific and clinical trial activities that help support study recruitment, development and understanding
Medical and Scientific support for Internal Stakeholders
- Provide internal stakeholders with an understanding of clinical practice trends and actionable (strategic) information or insight that supports the value and appropriate use of AZ products
- Support appropriate AZ staff training on clinical data, trends in clinical practice within TA
- Provide relevant and timely feedback on KEE/HCP interactions using available resources (Veeva Medical CRM tool, Email, Chatter as appropriate)
Continually demonstrate development of: Scientific expertise in disease area(s) of company focus, Business acumen and strategic thinking, Strong communication.
- Maintain medical/scientific expertise in disease state management, AZ products, emerging therapies, and the competitive landscape
- Demonstrate collaborative leadership and management along with advanced strategic thinking within and across field team and TA
- Continually develop ability to communicate in a variety of situations with various stakeholders
- Identify areas for self-development
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- College/university degree in science or clinical qualification, with relevant scientific experience.
- Ability to interact with and manage a range of stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated expertise in discussing scientific content and context to a variety of audiences.
- Established project management ability.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership and management capabilities.
- Ability to travel (% varies with geographic responsibility).
Desirable (in addition to Essential)
- Advanced degree in Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine or equivalent.
- Familiarity and/or experience with the pharmaceutical industry, it's regulatory environment, clinical research, disease state and treatments and the area of the field medical science liaisons.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams.
- Two+ years of experience as a Medical Science Liaison in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Excellent Presentation, Facilitation and Instructional Skills
Key personal capabilities and attitude
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Good Planning and Organisational Skills
- Excellent Scientific knowledge
- Ability to develop Strategic Partnerships
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.